Omega hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jayzandra, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently posted in the what breed forum that I recently adopted 7 "rooster balded" hens. 2 EEs, a black star, a red star, a barred rock, a silver laced wyandotte, and a production red. Aside from them all being partially balded, the red star is limping. I checked her and didn't see anything out of sorts. I mentioned it to the lady I got them from and she said she had never noticed the limping before. Then maybe 3 days later one of the EEs just died. And I have no idea why. I examined her body but there were no obvious signs of anything. I have been giving them lots of fresh veggies and fruits and extra protein to help facilitate feather growth.

I have been keeping a close eye on them. They are laying nice egg regularly and I'm seeing pin feathers poking out, but the red star is still limping and I have noticed that everyone picks on the remaining EE. I can't quite figure out who is the top hen just yet, but I hate seeing her being pecked at and chased around all the time.

Should I separate her? I feel like she will get lonely and that will just make her more of an outcast. I also considered finding her a new home with somebody else who has a nice flock, but again, I feel like she'll still get picked on.

So what can I do to help her out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by