OMG Dog bit egg with chick inside! Help!

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
Ok, well, my niece let out little mutt into the coop when she went in to feed them treats and she comes out running with an egg with a big hole in it! You can see the tiny feet and bill. OMG, what do I do? Is there a way to save the poor thing? The inner membrane was broken too. I went in and saw a few eggs all over the floor, 1 smashed to bits. I brought in the undamaged eggs and the one with the hole in it and made an emergency bator. A plastic craft box and used a glass pane for the top, added a bowl of water and the eggs. I put it under my 150, or maybe its 250...idk watt red brooder light. I put in a thermostat too, it's slowly going up. How high should it be? How do I know if it's too humid or not enough w/o a gauge for it?

OMG the poor eggs...Can someone please give me advice on what to do now?
I can get pics later.

How long have the eggs been incubating? If it's a while to hatch yet then I doubt there is much you can do. If it's almost time for hatch maybe there is hope, but it will be small. You might try putting a little piece of plastic wrap over the hole area ONLY & lightly spritz the rest of the egg with water that is the same temp as the eggs. That will help restore a bit of moisture, maybe.

Others with more experience may chime in later. This is what I'd probably do in an emergency, though.

I don't know what stages all the eggs are in. I'm hoping the others w/o holes in them might hatch. Poor fellow...dogs suck, she always makes faces at eggs...
It has maybe 1cm size feet, floating and moving.
eggss.jpg

There is a blue cup with water, 4in by 3in I think. I will find something to seal up the hole. But what about bacteria added to the liquid within the egg?

I'm at least, again, hoping the ones w/o damage hatch...
But I will find something to cover the hole and post new, better pics.
Seeing those tiny feet was like the pics of human fetus feet, 1/2in in size, it's crazy.
I'm not sure how I will rotate that egg, or should I just leave it propped up? It's feet are near the hole, head down at the bottom.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, it could have bacteria in it. Dogs have dirty mouths. You basically have three choices:

1. Cull it now in some way. I'm not sure what the standard methods of doing this are as I've not artificially incubated enough eggs (until recently I always had natural incubation under the hen).
2. Leave it as is, in with the other eggs. It most likely will not make it.
3. Try to cover the hole in some way to help make sure more things don't get into it and that additional moisture loss is minimized. Still recognize that it probably won't make it.

If it does make it, you may still have a deformed or otherwise weak baby. There is no way to tell at this point.

Egg didn't make it. Still have hope for the undamaged ones. Temp is at 95F, should I make it warmer?
It's been 90 going up to 95F since I put them in yesterday. Flipped them at 7am and just now.
They seem to be at different stages, 2 or 3 are very fully dark. 1 or 2 are half dark.

Prolly a hen laid the eggs later on when the broody went to eat on her break. That happens to my 2nd broody too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom