OMG Eye Injury!! Help!!! UPDATE!!!!!!

woolymama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 10, 2009
Central Virginia
Um....my Rooster, Roobert looked fine this morning. Now, this.
40937_062210_007.jpg

40937_062210_009.jpg

I don't know what happened or what to do.
Suggestions?
1) What type of bird , age and weight? Buff Orp, 1 year, 9 lbs.
2) What is the behavior, exactly: No odd behavior. Crowing, eating, acting fine. Eye looks awful.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Starting this evening
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No other symptoms or trauma
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Could be a fight with another roo. It happens. They free range.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. They free range inside a large fenced yard and are also given Layena and plenty of water.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop is normal.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat him myself if possible.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Done
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Deep litter method with wood shavings in coop.

Last edited:
I work for an ophthalmologist. That looks nasty. Looks like it happened early today. You need antibiotic eye drops. You will need a prescription. In the meantime get some saline solution from the drugstore or contact lens saline soaking liquid and wash out the eye.

Last edited:
The eye is cloudy and it appears to have infection coming out of it. I'm almost certain that your bird is sick. I don't think that it's an injury. I would remove it from the rest of the flock immediately until you find out what it is. It's highly unusual for the bird to have looked completely normal this morning and a few hours later it progressed to the point that it is now. I hope someone will chime in that may know what exactly this is.

Wow, that looks serious! I would contact the chicken doctor, peter brown, at first state vet supply and get some him some eye antibiotics. He can send them to you as he is a vet. He has done so for my chickens eye problem in the past. Best wishes for you and Robert.

We received meds from Peter Brown (drops and ointment) and the swelling has gone down to almost normal. He's keeping his eye open now, but it's all black. It looks as though it's 100% pupil and I am not sure he can see out of it. Very strange. I don't know what happened or what any of it means, but he is well in every other way.
Thanks for the help!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom