OMG -- He suggested goats!

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
Long story short, my DH was skeptical about chickens. I did the terrible chicken math and we ended up with more than a dozen from his agreement of 6 chickens.
gig.gif
Anyway, we've been talking about getting more self-sufficient and the man suggested GOATS.
th.gif
He has staunchly refused goats until now. So, we're talking about getting two does and a buck to get milk.

He told me "the chickens pretty much won me over on self-sufficiency." Wow, really? He doesn't think of them as anything but food, but that's okay.

Now, where to find goats here in Montana. Hmm...
caf.gif

You dont need a buck. You can take the does to somebody who ones one. Beats having a stinky buck that you need to keep seperate and having atleast one buudy weather for him(and extra secure fencing. Or you could opt for AI in goats. My grandpa never kept a bull he had all cows AI by a professional . He just called up and requested straws with certain qualities in a bull.

I heard billy goats STINK! Like if you have one an acre away, you can smell it in the front yard. Of your neighbor's house. On the other side of the river. Where no one lives because they moved away because of the smell. :(

My goat does stink but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Goat milk is delicious!!!!

If you plan on getting goats, please make sure that whatever you have them in, they can't get out. Goats are like escape artists. They can get out of ANYTHING and end up on the roof of your vehicle! ;)

Buck goats do smell, some worse than others, and I would suggest you not keep one. Someone suggested AI, but you have to know what you are doing to AI goats. I know. I have done a lot of AI in goats and it is much more difficult to AI a goat than it is to AI a cow. The flavor of goat milk varies a lot from delicious to undrinkable. Nubians usually produce very good milk. Some Toggenburgs produce terrible milk. Not all Toggs, but some of them, and this trait is hereditary. As to where to find goats, contact the American Dairy Goat Association for a list of breeders in your area. I think the website is adga.org. They can also send you some basic information on dairy goats.

Buck goats do smell, some worse than others, and I would suggest you not keep one. Someone suggested AI, but you have to know what you are doing to AI goats. I know. I have done a lot of AI in goats and it is much more difficult to AI a goat than it is to AI a cow. The flavor of goat milk varies a lot from delicious to undrinkable. Nubians usually produce very good milk. Some Toggenburgs produce terrible milk. Not all Toggs, but some of them, and this trait is hereditary. As to where to find goats, contact the American Dairy Goat Association for a list of breeders in your area. I think the website is adga.org. They can also send you some basic information on dairy goats.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out!

Have you ever tried goat milk?

I like goat cheese, so if not the milk, then the cheese is good!

Congratulations! You probably shouldn't get a buck right away, especially if you're a beginner with goats. They make things way more complicated. I've been researching and planning to get goats for couple years now, but I'm still living at home and Dad isn't sold on the idea. I don't see why, we would get good fresh milk, they'd eat the weeds and brush that he hates, we'd get lots of good manure for the lawn and garden, and my super shy youngest sister could show or do 4H with her favorite animal. Plus, a nearby Nigerian Dwarf breeder with good dairy lines is having a herd reduction this summer. Seems like a winning situation to me, but I guess not to Dad. I'll just have to keep waiting until I have my own place.

Owning dairy goats is really getting into farming proper. They require a lot more hands on care than chickens. We have goats, and it is true they are great escape artists. The only fencing that will keep them in is either small guage wire mesh, at least 6 feet high, or livestock electric mesh fencing. They will need good housing, fairly substantial and draught/water free. If the winters are severe, they will need to be kept inside a barn, as they can freeze to death in the harshest weather. We pack their house with straw and use a heat lamp on nights when it gets below -10 centigrade. They spend their days in the winter in a stable. A dairy goat will need milking twice a day. As well as grazing, they need a good quality goat mix, for essential vitemines/minerals. For three goats we buy a £12 bag every 3 weeks. In the winter, we feed them on haylage, they need about 5 pounds a day. As you can see, unless you have a passion for goats milk, and or cheese, it's unlikely that you will break even. I say do your research first before you commit to them. Good luck anyway

Back
Top Bottom