OMG HELP MAGGOTS!!!

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
are maggots bad to have in the coop where they sleep? the maggots are under a T shirst i put in there and the hens sleep on it :eek:

eeewww!!! Maggots are terrible!! And if they are there now, if a chick should get injured they will be on them in a heartbeat. And you don't want to have to pick them off one by one like I had to when my girls got hurt. I'd rid the chicks of them straight away. Get some straw or something for them to sleep on.

then how do i do it!?!?!?OMG im scared for my chickens! and me for having to do it
sad.png

It's strange that they are there in the first place. I'd be inclined to get rid of them and put fresh bedding down. Check your birds to make sure there isn't a wound somewhere, thus explaining why the maggots might be in the neighborhood.
JJ

Last edited:
Absolutely! Maggots are nothing more than fly larvae and chickens love em! I occasionally will go to the pet store and buy an container of meal worms as a special treat but learned early not to feed by hand, they tore me up trying to get to them!

so i should let them eat them? but i thought maggots are parasites!lets have a vote: should i let them eat them? ten votes and at end, whichever has more, ill do
tongue.png

My grandma used to always warn me of not letting maggots near my chickens, and not allow me to let them eat them.

But, unfortunately, she passed away in 2006, so I can't ask her why not.

I just know she stressed how bad it was...but I don't know if she meant because wounds could get infected or if consumption could hurt them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom