OMG! I cant believe what just happened!

da417

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
Buttercup, a smallish easteregger hen had been somewhat depressed acting for a day or two. I took her out of the pen yesterday and brought her in and fixed her some water with ACV and scrambled eggs. She ate all the eggs, so I thought I would watch her for a day or two...anyway tonight I noticed she hadn't pooped normally and what I found in the cage was mucusy with some yellowish in it but just a small amount. (Crop normal) I decided to give her a warm bath to clean her up so I could get a better look at the vent. Well heaven help me! As soon as I put her into the warm bath she rolled her eyes and gasped and died, right then and there! I am speechless and so upset! What in this world happened? Did I cause her to have a heart attack or something? I have never in my life seen anything like that!!!! I killed my poor little Buttercup!

No, you did not kill Buttercup. Yellowish mucusy liquid excreted could possibly indicate that she may have had shelless egg (yolk/whites) internally causing a severe bacterial infection which overwhelmed her. Another possibility would be an out of control ecoli bacterial infection.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you. None of the others appear ill but I moved their coop and thoroughly cleaned everything just in case. It was just awful. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened. It sure sounds like you did the right thing and tried hard to save her. It hurts to lose a little one.

Back
Top Bottom