OMG! I can't believe what my SO said today!!

I think we are all so lucky with our DH's!!! Mine was sooo against chickens for the longest time, and now?? HE is the one ordering on line from the hatchery!! And although he is gone 90% of the time, his phone calls are "How many eggs did we get?" "How are the 'peep-peeps' doing?" "How are the girls?" etc.....I love it! He helped build the dividers for the coops and now he refers to it as the "chicken condo" and is already forming the plans in his head for new nesting boxes for when the 'peep-peeps' are of laying age....I LOVE IT!!!
wink.png

My husband moans and groans to his friends about how much he does for me. Washes the dishes, feeds my animals... But He is always asking "Honey, lets get a cup of coffee and go sit in the barn so we can let the cihckens out" We love sitting there, listening to the horses munch their hay, the goats too and our hens pecking and scratching around. The other day it started t rain just a little bit - Heaven couldn't be any better! When we put fresh water in the little pool, our one duck goes crazy, splashing around in a little circle -- So Cute- We have such a great day when we start it out in the barn with our coffee!

I was alone in my chicken addiction. Slowly, as I ventured on hubby started to get curious...Now we enjoy them together, and he trusts me on my chicken decisions.

When we go out with friends, or just talking to our clients, guess who talks about the chickens first?
big_smile.png

Quote:
What a wonderful way to start the day!!
big_smile.png
That is one of my favorite times of the day, too. I go out to feed the horses, then feed and water the chickens. I take my time because I love to visit with them...they follow me around while I scatter their pellets...they talk and tell me lots of stories and I tell them how beautiful they are, etc.

Yeah, mine has slowly but surely come around too. I've been wanting to get chickens for several years now, and his response was always less than enthusiastic. I finally took the plunge this year, and his attitude was basically that he would put up with my chicken-obsession as long as he didn't have to have anything to do with them and he didn't step in chicken poop. he wasn't too happy when he learned I planned to keep the brooder in the house for the first couple of weeks, but the first day they moved out to the coop he had to go check on them. When I asked him why he said "Well, now that they're outside, I miss them. I haven't seen them all day!"
hu.gif

My electric poultry netting for their run was on backorder, so they had to stay cooped up for a few days. When I finally got it up and he came home from work I was asleep (I work midnights). He came and got me up, all exicted, and said "Come on! Let's go outside and play with the chickens!"
big_smile.png

Then the other night he's out grilling, and I go by the door and hear this 40-year-old man out by the chicken run cooing "yeep-yeep! hey peepers, what's going on?"
gig.gif
So when he comes in I ask him if he was talking to the chickens. He just gives me this goofy look and says "Yeah, so?"

Now I've actually had to tell him to stop spoiling them so much, he seems incapable of going outside without bringing them treats. Last weekend we went out to dinner with his mother, and he asked me if I brought any pictures of the chickens to show her. He may not want to admit it, but he's got the bug almost as bad as I do.
love.gif

Oh trust me , they ( HUBBY'S ) can be softies YES . My hubby poured me and himself our 2nd. cup of coffee this morning and said , come on , lets go see our babies . We went out back and drank our coffee and watching them cutting up already and it wa s only 6:45 Am .

wink.png
hugs.gif
:aww
smack.gif

thumbsup.gif

Awe, I just LOVE all your stories. Wish I could add to them. My DH "tolerates" my chicken obsession. I will say, though, that he allowed me to have 7 to begin with....now....I have over 30. He was upset each time I got/hatched more, but he got over it. He doesn't like breakfast (I know, there MUST be something WRONG with him), but he does love deviled eggs and egg salad. He also built my coop, run, and barn pen/run.....begrudgingly, but he did it.

Interestingly, some guys he works with stopped out at our farm a few weeks back because they were in the area, and DH wanted to take them back to show them the chickens. Hmmmm....maybe he's coming over to OUR side after all!
yippiechickie.gif

we love chicken tv! be careful about ducks. they are way messier at eat a lot more than chickens. If I could do it over, I would have passed on the ducks. I love my ducks, but boy are they messy!!! my DH wants me to get rid of them.
hmm.png

Our relationships are give and take, and it's funny how chickens can become part of that partnership and routine, like part of the family. My DH usually wants the pets, then I do most of their care (Llama, pot belly pig, pygmy goats, pigeons, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, fish, indoor aviary, gecko, etc)...But chickens, well, thats MY thing. And the whole family enjoys them in some way. My ten year old evan loves poultry books and magazines, and he's a great helper in the yard!
big_smile.png
My adult son came to our house during our vacation to take of my pets. When I came home he said "mom, your chickens are creepy" I asked him to clarify? He said "they run right up to you, they want you to pet them, they look at you like they expect you to say something they'll understand, they want to be picked up and held?" I asked him, "Whats wrong with that?" "Nothing, I guess, mom, but you have over 60 chickens, it was a bit overwhelming trying to talk to all of them?" He's a good kid...........
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom