omg i hope i did not posin my babies

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
i just read apricotes are on the list of toxic for chicks and yesterday we have apricote tree and we harvested the apricotes and i gave my girls 2 of them they loved them and today i just read on the list there toxic so what should i look for what can i do.

APRICOTS (Prunus spp.); seeds; plant is cyanogenetic.

Last edited:
Many seeds are cyanogenetic. I would never feed your girls any apple seeds and pits of fruits. The fruits are safe. Good luck.

ya when i first read it it did not say seed just the fruit but apone further reading and research found out its the seeds and i dont feed them to ghe girls for fear of chocking but my samyoed dog loves fruites and he eats them when they drop seeds and all found out it can kill him sonow i have lots of yard work to do

I gave my girls some watermelon rinds yesterday thinking it would be a nice treat for them. They were not interested at all. I also gave them a couple of the tops cut off of strawberries. That didn't interest them either. Is it because they are still young and haven't figured out what could be a tasty treat or are those things chickens don't care for?

I gave my girls some watermelon rinds yesterday thinking it would be a nice treat for them. They were not interested at all. I also gave them a couple of the tops cut off of strawberries. That didn't interest them either. Is it because they are still young and haven't figured out what could be a tasty treat or are those things chickens don't care for?

Our girls pecked the watermelon clean but left the rind. Maybe they just dont like it. However the strawberry tops didnt last long at all with the girls they ate them right up.

Oh they will learn to LOVE the berries and Melon-it's likely that they're just young. Watermelon and strawberries are two of my girls favorites. When it's really hot I'll even freeze big slices of watermelon to give them to cool them down. Give it some time, they'll come around.

Oh my word, this thread title scared the whatsits out of me! I had just given our chicks watermelon and then saw the poison comment. Whew! It was seedless, anyway. Good reminder.

Back
Top Bottom