OMG!!! I'm a new parent!!!!

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
Ok so a few weeks ago one of my TSC pullets decided to go broody. I started breaking her of it until I found a clutch of 12 eggs from my 5 Silver Sebrights and 5 White Leghorns. So looking at my situation... I have a broody hen. I have 12 possibly fertilized eggs... I know it is late in the year but figure what the heck. I put the eggs under her 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

Well lo and behold today I went to collect eggs and found that she'd tried to get more shavings into her nesting box. Upon further inspection I found the nesting box to be peeping!!! I ran into the house to tell my wife without checking. I ran back into the run and checked the coop and there were hatched chicks under her. They are from a Sebright hen and hopefully they had not been molested by the Leghorn roos and are full Sebrights but only time will tell.

All I can say is that I am beyond ecstatic that I now have 100% honest to goodness John raised chickens. From the shell to running lil peeps!!!! Life is too grand today!

The proud broody with her chicks. She is now my favorite chicken. She is so good to them.
DSC00376.jpg

That is a great photo! It's an incredible experience to say the least! I had a Silkie hen go broody in the spring...haven't got a roo so I didn't have any fertile eggs. Some friends gave me 13 to try and hatch. She was so vigilant...even my little banty went broody and decided to join in the fun. It was certainly a group effort...lol! 11 of the 13 hatched and what a day it was...sat out there all day and watched it all unfold...simply unbelievable and what a feeling!

Glad you've gotten to experience this...I think it makes the "chicken experience" complete!!!

Enjoy!
clap.gif

Wow! That's great. I kind of wish I could do the same but I am limited to hens only, so that will never happen.

thumbsup.gif
Very happy for you. I'm hoping in the spring to try my hand at it too!

Great pic!!! Congrats!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom