OMG, I'm such an idiot...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
We had a terrible temperature spike in the McGyver-bator day before yesterday and when I candled them, being the beginner I am, didn't "see" anything like development, and thinking I killed them, shut down the 'bator. I mean 110 degrees - I surely cooked them.

So, I took the eggs out of the 'bator and set the carton on the kitchen counter. This was 2 days ago, Wednesday evening. They set there all day yesterday and tonight, as I was getting ready to take the trash down, I went to throw the eggs out and decided to break one open to see if they had developed at all.

The first egg I broke open had a perfect little embryo with a still beating heart.
he.gif
hit.gif

I actually cried. I feel like such an idiot.

So, I put the eggs back into the 'bator. Am I wasting my time? Will they be like, deformed or something?

Arg. My husband was no help. He looks and says, OMG, the heart is still beating, you KILLED it!!
:thun
*sigh*
Em

It's possible your thermometer was off, or maybe the temp spike didn't last long enough to heat the eggs that high.

I'd say give'em a chance! They'll just be delayed a bit.
smile.png

You must keep your house warm!
wink.png
I'd have had to
smack.gif
the DH for saying that, though...
rant.gif

My boss baked an entire Sportsman bator of eggs! He finally admitted that it went up to 118F!!!!!
We actually had 5 eggs hatch (2 didn't make it) and I did have to assist the hatching by judicious application of warm water and wet towels.
Don't give up! What can you lose by letting them sit in the bator except a few cents worth of electricity?

Well, they were sitting right beside the coffee pot. If it isn't running to keep coffee warm, I'm brewing water for tea.

I'm checking the 'bator every 15 minutes to get the temperature up. I actually have the oven timer set.
roll.png

So, I need to get myself a better candler, i.e.: flashlight. I was using a 2,000,000 candlepower spotlight with a towel wrapped around it. I couldn't see into the EE eggs at all.

Any suggestions for a good candler?

Thanks guys-
Em

Okay - so the 'bator is back to operating temperature and humidity. 101 and 48%.

One good thing that came of this? My husband has agreed to buy the Little Giant Still Air and automatic egg turner we saw at the feed store a few days ago.
smile.png

Now I wait. When would you suggest candling again? And any suggestions on how to see *anything* through the blue eggs my EE lays?

Thanks everyone-
Em

One good thing that came of this? My husband has agreed to buy the Little Giant Still Air and automatic egg turner we saw at the feed store a few days ago. smile

er ... not wanting to pee on your parade, so to speak, but ...

The LG is notorious for having a very difficult to adjust temperature mechanism .... although it does work, and does work well when set up right.

I might consider looking locally for a Hovabator, were I in the market right now. The basic ones are cheap and easier to use.

Please correct me if I got this wrong.​

Hoping the rest make it. Try not to be too hard on yourself, its heartbreaking, but.... you didn't know.
hugs.gif

keep us posted

er ... not wanting to pee on your parade, so to speak, but ...

No, no...that's okay.
lol.png
The last thing I need is something difficult to deal with. That's what husbands are for.
roll.png

I've not seen any Hovabators. Even the local TSC only carries the LG still airs.

I have seen a bunch of incubators on ebay. Is it a bad idea to get one second hand?

Thanks-
Em​

Back
Top Bottom