OMG!! Introduced them to Roasted Mealworms.

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
I have gone from Axe Murderer to Favorite Aunt. I picked up a bag of roasted meal worms and started giving them to the little gals (They're two weeks tomorrow). At first they just about ignored them. I came back a few hours later and Sunny, Little-Miss "You're-Trying-To-Kill-Us!!!!", started rushing my hand.
lol.png
Then she'd grab a worm or two and start running around the brooder like a dog trying to hide a particularly good bone, cheeping crazily the whole time. Shania and Scrambles would start chasing her and it became straight chaos. Eventually they would figure out there were more in my hand but by that point Sunny would have gobbled what she had grabbed and race back over to me to snatch more.
gig.gif
I think she got 90% of what I put in there.

I highly recommend them as treats to anyone else out there looking for something healthy to give their chicks some fun! I found them at a wild bird food/supplies store.

I get them from the grain/farm store I get my feed at. They still LOVE their hard boiled eggs best, but the worms are a close 2nd!

I just did this with my 2 week olds myself, but I got the live version of the worms... kinda squicky to hold out, but worth it! Even my super shy Dominique chicks were climbing all over me, trying to get at them! (Though I have to say... apparently I'm still an Axe Murderer, unless I'm sitting down in the brooder... then they're all over me!) Meal worms FTW!

Back
Top Bottom