Miracle 5 day shipped baby chicks!

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hey all! Just wanted to introduce my little miracles! Ok so I had a broody hen that I wanted to give chicks to so I ordered them and they shipped last week on June 21st. I was expecting them to only take 2 days which is what is normal. Friday came no call from post office. I got a little worried but knew sometimes it could take 3 days. Then Saturday no call again and the tracking was still saying they were in Atlanta. I called my local post office to make sure the weren’t there and they were not there. They said they were still in Atlanta. So we all know there is no mail on Sunday. I lost all hope just knew they would all be dead by Monday. Monday the post office called and said they had my chicks. I was just numb and I told her they were extremely late and I asked her if they were dead? She said no I can hear some. Then my heart was racing and rushed off to go get them knowing most were probably dead and the ones left would be in bad shape and weak. Anyway I get there and pick them up and peek in box and looks like a good bit still alive so I fly home! And start putting them in my brooder one by one and dipping there beaks to get them started drinking electrolyte water and I’m counting them. I order 8 they shipped 9. Two were dead in the box, one more died shortly after. So I had 6 left. I gave them food and some hard boiled egg yolk! And they started to perk up! Then I lost power at my house thank God it was hot outside i took them out to keep them warm until they restore power about an hour later. i was really worried about whether or not to give these babies to my momma hen after all they had been through. But decided to go ahead with my plan if they were doing good in the evening. They looked great by the evening so under momma they went and all is well this morning! Thanks for reading just wanted to tell someone about these 6 little survivors!
7855DE78-3852-44AE-AFB0-C57CC985B118.jpeg

Quite a story. I know chicks should last longer than 72 hours without food and water but that is really stretching it. :love

Obviously we have no idea what went on during their adventure but I remember a story on here a while back involving baby ducks where the people at a post office stepped up to take care of baby ducks that were in trouble. You never know who might have helped them along the way.

Hey all! Just wanted to introduce my little miracles! Ok so I had a broody hen that I wanted to give chicks to so I ordered them and they shipped last week on June 21st. I was expecting them to only take 2 days which is what is normal. Friday came no call from post office. I got a little worried but knew sometimes it could take 3 days. Then Saturday no call again and the tracking was still saying they were in Atlanta. I called my local post office to make sure the weren’t there and they were not there. They said they were still in Atlanta. So we all know there is no mail on Sunday. I lost all hope just knew they would all be dead by Monday. Monday the post office called and said they had my chicks. I was just numb and I told her they were extremely late and I asked her if they were dead? She said no I can hear some. Then my heart was racing and rushed off to go get them knowing most were probably dead and the ones left would be in bad shape and weak. Anyway I get there and pick them up and peek in box and looks like a good bit still alive so I fly home! And start putting them in my brooder one by one and dipping there beaks to get them started drinking electrolyte water and I’m counting them. I order 8 they shipped 9. Two were dead in the box, one more died shortly after. So I had 6 left. I gave them food and some hard boiled egg yolk! And they started to perk up! Then I lost power at my house thank God it was hot outside i took them out to keep them warm until they restore power about an hour later. i was really worried about whether or not to give these babies to my momma hen after all they had been through. But decided to go ahead with my plan if they were doing good in the evening. They looked great by the evening so under momma they went and all is well this morning! Thanks for reading just wanted to tell someone about these 6 little survivors! View attachment 3557472
Great outcome ❤️. Always stressful waiting for shipped chicks. My first experience was 13 years ago… expected them in the morning we were to get a hurricane I called the post office first thing in the morning, they hadn’t come in yet and because we live out in the boonies we lost power so my brooder was cold. Turns out a tree had fallen on the electrical lines, taking out the telephone line as well, my postmaster was frantic trying to call me because they came in on a later truck. She literally drove under the downed wire removing caution cones to hand deliver my baby light Brahmas. Because we do live out in the boonies we have a generator so my husband got that going so the brooder warmed up pretty quickly and everyone made out just fine. I actually still have one old lady left from that original batch of chicks.

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm picking up a few 3 day old's in August and planning to put under my broody if she's still broody (she's one of those that goes broody all the time.) Now I know she'll probably be fine with 3 day olds! You did all the right things! I'd be naming them survivor strong women type names!! Sorry about the losses but bravo, job well done for the 5 !

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm picking up a few 3 day old's in August and planning to put under my broody if she's still broody (she's one of those that goes broody all the time.) Now I know she'll probably be fine with 3 day olds! You did all the right things! I'd be naming them survivor strong women type names!! Sorry about the losses but bravo, job well done for the 5 !
Thanks I was so nervous about the shape they would be in but they are looking good! And all 6 are doing great today

Back
Top Bottom