OMG is this Avian TB????

kimh

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Kent Island, MD
4 yeard old Silver Laced Wyandotte -- started acting strange a week or two ago - wouldnt come out of the coop, lets me pick her up (never happens) -combs are pale and seem to be regressing, she seems uncoordinated and not moving much - is lethargic and - not really sure if she could see me. Poops were normal up to this and now there just isnt much poop at all -she is isolated and has been for 6 months since the other hens started picking on her about 9 - 12 months ago -I dont rememeber. She has not hardly touched any food or water and has become very skinny -- feathers are puffed. I have made her boiled eggs, mash with molasses, yogurt, etc. I'm having to open her beak to give her nutrients. I let her out today for a little while and she barley had enough energy to go and hide under a bush. The other hens attack her and made her combs bleed so I put her up. She has never been much of an egg layer and hasn't laid eggs in over 18 months.

UPDATE: she has a gurgling noise now when she breaths and her eyes are closed more than open when I am around and moves head a little funny - like a blind person. She hasn't been much of an eater in the past few months. Hens started being mean to her about a year ago -and I seperated her 6 months ago so she could eat. Is this advanced stages of Avian TB?? I have her in a dog crate in the laundry room to keep her warm. The feed store told me to cull her but I don't know if I could do that to my pet.

Other hens seem fine but I am scared that this is Avian TB.

Last edited:
From my experience in the past she is dying. Maybe someone else on here has better thoughts.
sad.png

so sorry. Will she eat eggs and yogurt? Might try that? O water with some vitimans and trickle in her mouth. Have you checked for mites and any sores on the bod? good luck!

Last edited:
No sores, no mites - nothing....I can't get her to eat anything or drink water. I'm really concerned that the other hens will follow suit - -but no one seems ill so far.

Thank you for your response

Back
Top Bottom