omg Ive been killing my chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Aug 17, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I have been throwing out what I thought were eggs with blood rings (all around days 3-8 or so). I cracked one open tonight that had the "blood ring" and it was alive- I could see its little heart beating [​IMG]. I feel so horrible.........so if it wasnt a blood ring, what is the red ring inside? Should I assume theyre doing well if theres vascularization? Every one that ive taken out had spider veins, but a red ring at the top and I thought that meant they had died. I am so upset [​IMG]

2. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I am so sorry [​IMG] try not to beat yourself up, you didn't know... I hope someone can help you with your questions.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would guess that it would be the veins converging around the embryo.
    The best policy would be to re-candle eggs after a few days in cases where you are unsure,.
    And no, don't beat yourself up, most of us make mistakes along the way.....as long as we learn by them

Sandie

4. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I threw out blood rings also
    but the 2 I threw out DID NOT have veins they only had blood rings

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If you haven't already, try doing a Search on BYC or via Google for photos of what viable eggs should like when you candle them. It can be so hard to know. Many times, even if you are pretty familiar with how they should look.
    So sorry [​IMG]

6. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    okay thank you for the replies! I am still kicking myself, but Im glad I realized my error before I killed any more [​IMG]

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Excuse my ignorance because I don't know anything about candling and I hope this doesn't read like I'm having a go at the OP or anyone else but...

Why are folks in such a rush to get rid of non-viable eggs?
    Isn't it just as easy to wait until day 15 or so before looking. I can understand a commercial operation not wanting to waste time on infertiles and such but for home producers why is it so important to get rid of the failures.

And to add my own experiences of being an unwitting chicken killer, I've driven over them with the truck, I've shredded one with the brushcutter (not pretty) and just yesterday I stood on a three day old. Not good. I think I should change my thingy from Chillin' With My Peeps to Killin' With My Peeps [​IMG]

8. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oven,
    I am new also, but I read someone saying bad eggs can explode in the incubator if not removed, and put the other eggs at risk.

And sorry about your chicks [​IMG] We all make mistakes, though, no need to beat yourself up over it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  9. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Hi i have some broody silkies sitting on eggs, well some of the eggs under the broodys broke and they ate them. To say the least there eggs are coated in egg etc. I haven't washed them as i don't want to rmoeve the protective coating. My blue/silver silkies eggs are fertile and are still devolping, there on day 10. My white broody silkie is sitting on 4 eggs but only 1 or 2 are fertile.
    Everyone makes mistakes its normal. Its learning from your mistakes is what counts.

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if this would help ,.. but I was looking at photo's of bad egg's just the other day. It helped me because it has good photos of candled eggs and I really needed to see what it looked like,.. sometimes reading about it just isn't enough.
    http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by