OMG! Last chick to hatch will not shut up!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cqranch, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    This little chick is driving me nuts, it will not shut up, chirps loudly all the time all day long. It's in the brooder with other chicks so it's not lonely. The others aren't picking on it, although I think if I was them I would, just to get it to shut up. They are gonna have to go to the bigger brooder in the shed a little sooner than planned, I just can't take it anymore!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's not normal for the chicks to cry constantly. Chicks cry when they have something wrong. It could be simply too hot/cold, no food/water, or it could be something serious. I never hear mine that are inside. Once in a while one will cheep real loud, like one of the others is picking on it, but normally they are quiet if they are happy and healthy. I did have one a few weeks ago that did that. It lived about a day and died. I guess it had some kind of internal thing not right.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Shelley is right. There is something the matter or it would not holler constantly. It has been my experience that when I have one do that, they just don't make it for whatever reason. Nature seems to take care of the things we can't. [​IMG]

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I had a mystery chick which did that. I called her L T for "little terror." She turned out to be a buff Japaneese bantam and was so much smaller than the Brahma bantams and the cornishX's.

It turned out that she was just high strung and all the other chicks were laid back. After a couple weeks I had to put her in with the CornishX's because she was pecking on and terriorizing the Brahmas. She ended up holding her own against those feeding machines even tho they were three times her size.

When she finally started laying her personality started to change. She became broody about every third week and I had to break her up by locking her out of the coop. I finally let her hatch some Brahma chicks. She was a great mother, died defending her chicks from a dog.

Good luck with yours. I can feel for you. [​IMG]

5. lilarabookworm

lilarabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    that is so sad that the little japanease bantam died defending her chicks. [​IMG]
    dogs can be so evil when it comes to chickens. [​IMG]

6. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you giving electrolytes? Might try some vitamins as well. Maybe it's just missing something.

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I had a couple like that over the years. The ones I did not treat, died in a couple days. The others, I gave poly-vi-sol into the beak 3 times a day as well as some water several times daily with a syringe. They all made it. It seems that they are dehydrated for whatever reason and I saw a change in a day once treating. I treated for a week.
    Best of luck.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My little blue orp did this when I hatched it out myself. It was smaller than the others and it cried for days. Finally on the fourth day it quieted down a bit.

9. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    This one is smaller than the rest. It's moving around fine. Seems to be eating/drinking ok. Just follows the others around chirping or stands next to one, closes it's eyes and chirps. It's a couple days old now. I'm going into town tomorrow so will check on the electrolytes. None of the rest of them are showing any signs of being too hot or cold. Only time it stops is when they all lay down to sleep.

10. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    After closing watching them for a bit, it appears that maybe it's blind or can't see very well. When I put my hand in the brooder, the others scatter, but this one just stands there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by