Omg..mice!!

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
First off, this might sound strange but I didn't know I had a mouse problem. All of our feed is kept in a old freezer which has a good seal. All of our animals are fed as much as they can eat in grain/ration twice daily for about 15 mins each time. We don't have excessive feed lying around. We have a few barn cats which are great mousers and I saw one of my chickens catch and kill a mouse once.

Tonight for the first time I visited my coop after dark, I had forgotten to lock my broody turkey hen back in her dog crate/nest for the night...so in I went with a flash light. I have a few rabbit cages hanging in there with a few rabbits, they each get a measured amount of food each morning and each evening. I don't like to waste feed or have fat rabbits so we don't feed them free choice.

Well in shone the light out flew the mice! They came crawling and jumping out of everywhere...probably at least 20 and thats only the ones I saw!

What can I do to lessen their poulation, keeping it safe for children/chickens and pets.

Oh wow, I'd have had a heart attack!! That's one thing I can't stand!! (Shudders)

Try searching the archives because I've read a bunch of post on how different people have succeded in ridding themselves of these little things!!

Good Luck!
fl.gif

Missi

A 5 gallon bucket half full of water with a see saw mounted on top, peanut butter mixed with whatever feed you are using for your birds in the middle of the see saw I make the see saw out of something thin like 1/4" luan plywood a piece of rebar or threaded rod and a couple fencing staples

You might try Mouse Magic by Bonide (google for more info and where to find it, e.g. some Ace Hardware stores) - it is a mouse repellent made up of packets of spearmint and peppermint leaves that can be placed in areas where one doesn't want mice. Harmless to all, but I wouldn't put it right near your birds as some smells that we like can really trouble them and I have yet to see documentation about these smells for them. Mice are also reportedly repelled by peppermint oil - you can dip cotton balls in the oil and as with MM, place where you want. As with MM, I wouldn't place where the smell might be strong for your birds.
JJ

A 5 gallon bucket half full of water with a see saw mounted on top, peanut butter mixed with whatever feed you are using for your birds in the middle of the see saw I make the see saw out of something thin like 1/4" luan plywood a piece of rebar or threaded rod and a couple fencing staples

having a hard time picturing (hint hint) this​

Someone on here said they used coke in a metal pie pan. It causes them to bloat and die. You might try that.

Rammy

Back
Top Bottom