OMG, my 1st Peafowl EGG... and JAVA Green to boot...

There are some that are pure and there are a lot that are not. In recent years DNA has helped a lot. Then again it has brought about new questions. There was always three subspecies of the Muticus peafowl but now there is reason to believe that there are many more.

Translated section of a German PDF:

The Malaysian and the Javan varieties were considered genetically identical and were grouped under the scientific name Pavo muticus muticus. This is not the case anymore. The two varieties are genetically different and the Javan variety even has two genetically different varieties of its own, the (Ujung Kulon-Form/south western Java and Baluran-Form/eastern Java).

The Malaysian form is now extinct, but Wolfgang Mennig's so-called "Javanese" birds are in fact Malaysian (this is controversial).

Unfortunately, captive stocks supposedly of pure Java Greens such as the Rodney Michael stock are a mix of the two forms. This is due to the fact that Jean Theodore Delacour assumed the two were identical.

So I guess Rodney Michael Javas are a pure Java bird but they are a mix of the two Java subspecies. And the way I see it that is pretty good, at least they are not mixed with spicifer and imperator. I do not know if Ernie West birds have ever been DNA tested or if anyone has any pure Ernie West birds anymore.

I realize this is an old thread but found it while looking up java info.
I'm a bit confused according to posts 15, 16, 18 and 19.
Is Choctow valley farm
and Cherokee Trail Farm one and the same ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom