OMG MY CHICKENS ARE MAKING ME SOO MAD I COULD KILL THEM!!!!!

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
i keep 3 and 2 chickens seprated in 2 coops: the young ones and old ones. well the old ones peck the 2 pullets and wont even let them in their coop when theyre all out in the yard together...i am starting to hate the 3 big ones....is there any way i could make them get along???
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

hey everyone....Chicken stew at Justino's house tonight!!

lau.gif

Seriously though - hope you get some good advice from someone who has more experience than I.

Well maybe you should cut the coop in half and still let them see each other. And maybe after a few days try putting them together.

P.S.
I'm doing this and even the last time I did it, it always worked out.

Flock integration is the worst nightmare. Really you need to to use a bit of wire to seperate the yard until the big girls are used to the little ones, and until the 'little' ones are at least the same size. Then you can try introducing only one of the big girls at a time to the other girls flock, where the 2 can 'rule the roost' for a bit. Let each one have that time to get to know them and not have their pals to back them up then try again to have an open run.

I'm having trouble with one hen right now too. The advice I have received is: use blue kote, vicks, bittering agent, giving them toys to distract them and introducing when they are roosting for the night. Right now I have her in hospital but, plan on giving them some new toys when I introduce her and hope that works. (the other ideas haven't).

Good luck!

Justino I feel your pain. Are the big ones hurting the little ones or just picking
on them? As long as there is no blood things will calm down. I'm going through
the same thing right now with 60 chickens. It looks really bad at first but it will
work itself out.

They make me mad too. I've grabbed a few of the bullies by the necks and threatened
them with the hatchet. They really can p**s you off.

Im going thru this too .. ive managed to integrate new birds into the flock but I have a smaller bird that the others just wont stop picking on .. I dont mind so much right now but eventually I have to get this lone hen out of my house and into the coop/run
D.gif

Mark

Yes Ive had this drama too.
It helps to always have 2 newbies at a time when introducing them, never one only~ too cruel!
Perhaps wait until the pullets are about the same size so at least they can put up a fair fight.
I always want to block my ears so I cant hear them squabble and squark.
I have a langshan banty who patrols the door at bedtime to make sure none of the silkies try to jump in. The silkies have their own coop but still like to try and bunk in with the others.
Its heartbreaking to watch them peck at the newbies when they are introduced.
But after a few days they will be calmer then in a week or 2 they will be mates. Its just the first few days that you witness this war in the henhouse.
Ive never had any draw blood but if i did I would take the injured one out pronto.
Good luck, they will be fine but try and wait till they have a bit more size.

As long as there is no blood, I'd leave it be. The hens will eventually ease up, and the younger birds will learn their boundaries.

Back
Top Bottom