1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG my chickens ATE Mice, HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Anitapita, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Susanv47

Susanv47 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    My chickens kill mice and moles, but not sure if they eat any of them. They do have voracious appetites, so it wouldnt surprise me, sounds nasty though.

2. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

3. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

"Chickens have standards too... even they won't eat blister bugs!" I say this to my chickenless friends all the time. The bug you saw might be one that tastes unpleasant to them. I live in Texas, and have not seen the bug you described, but I bet it had some manner of defense that your birds don't care to test.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  4. catdogme1

catdogme1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    If the mice could have diseases and could go in to the eggs its happened before to me and my family

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    My chickens kill baby rats and eat them. Be very careful when baiting rodents because they will seek water and if they die in the coop the chickens may indirectly ingest the poison. A fellow came to me only 2 months ago to buy hatching eggs because he had poisoned his entire flock , just so.

6. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    My Coop
    Isnt that the truth though? we live on the edge of forest on 53 acres and mice are an everyday occurrence here...as are chipmunks, coyotes, cougar , bobcat, bear, and drivers.... so we always have our sensors on to look out for those that my birds choose not to see. its sucks though, just this year I lost at least 6 birds to predation. one was my beloved hen Angel, but yes in triplicate to what all else sasy here, chickens do eat mice. I was equqally icked out to find a mouse carcass last year not two feet from where my American game bantam hen stood just a few minutes before... so I posted here to find out... same as you. what amazing and opportunistic creatures our feathered friends are,.. god bless them.

7. tandykins

tandykins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    Your chickens ate mice? Omnomnom. Sounds like a great snack for a hungry dinosaur. I wonder if my chickens are why I haven't seen a single mouse this year. Go girls, go!

8. YourCuteChicken

YourCuteChicken New Egg

Aug 16, 2014
    one of my chickens ate a mole, (Brownie) i had to for it out of her hand! Disgust!![​IMG] She also ate a whole snake. What a carnivore chicken!! (ha,ha)

9. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Drivers? As in "drunk drivers?"

10. Soon or later the mouse is going to come out the hole. Also good protein makes good eggs. Chickens do what chickens do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by