OMG!!! My guineapig just had SEVEN babies!!! (NEW PIC page 3)

Quote:
Everyone is always surprised when they see their first litter of Guinea pigs-it is just so hard to believe something comes out running around like that and able to eat regular food etc so fast. Oh they are so adorable but they can be so noisey
smile.png

Congrats! When I had my guinea pigs and my female was prego, I assumed I would wake up one day and she would be nursing little pinkies just like rats have. That was so far from reality! I went to feed one day and I thought hubby played a trick on me and bought more piggies. We were all very shocked that they come out rip roaring ready to go like that. Seven is ALOT! My momma piggy only had 3 and she looked like she was miserable and she had a hard time moving about with her size.

Years ago, I used to raise guinea pigs for a pet store. I'd have up to 80 babies before Christmas. I've had several litters of 9 pups (all surviving). Several of 7 pups, too. A mom will feed any baby. So, fostering some of them will work if the litters are really close in age or if you can wean the other litter at 3-4 weeks. I also, used 1 part V-8 juice to 1 part milk in a gravity fed water bottle as a supplement. I decreased the milk portion as they got older. This was an old-time formula. I would leave the bottle in the cage for an hour or less, so the milk did not go bad. I would do this several times a day because they loved it.
Make sure you give the Mom a rest after this litter. Large litters generally happen when a female is mated right after giving birth.
Dale-Ann

she seems to be able to feed all thoes babies cuz there all getting bigger and fatter! I am going to take some new pics now!
smile.png
JEN

woot.gif
My family raised cavies for almost 8 years, and we even came up with a new breed (smoke pearl, a lilac x black x white cross) and i think the most babes we ever had was 9.... but that momma cavy didnt survive the birth, so my sister bottle-fed the babies. Those young'uns sure are cute!

they are so darn cute. makes me miss mine. I had a male and my sister a female. got them from a pet store together. they would freak out so badly if separated, even in cages next to each other that they would chew them selfs till bloody. so end result babies once or twice a year. mamma would lay in the middle of the cage while daddy would play with the babies. they would line up, one would run round the cage and bang into the back of the line, then the first in line would run around and bang into the back.

Heres a new pic!!!! ARENT THEY GETTING BIGGER ALREADY!!!
lol.png

7babyproject.jpg

CEPT MAYBE THE RUNT HERE ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT....POOR LITTLE GUY!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom