OMG..........My quail hatched, now what?

YAY im glad to hear he's up and about! he'll be fine then im sure!
celebrate.gif

Hey everybody! I am so very happy to report that my quail is doing WONDERFUL!
big_smile.png
He is VERY active!!!! I actually had a neighbor that had day old chicks so I went and got quaily a few buddies. Well, I kept the chicks, but had to take them away from my cute quaily.....My cute little bitty quail was beating up the day old chicks!!!
sad.png
Tough little guy. So guess he will live alone. He seems very happy, active and loud though!
lol.png
Thanks for all the help!!!
wink.png

haha what was he doin pecking the shineys of their eyes? LOL i call them pigeons in the brooder because they willl peck at anything they can get their beak on even if it's giant (to them) defenssless baby chickens LOL

glad to hear your new baby is doing so great !!

I hatch everything in a Little Giant and have great hatches with mine - everything from chickens - ducks - button quail - coturnix quail - and a few bobwhites !! the LGs can be alittle tricky and take some getting used to - but I LOVE mine

I dont feed the medicated either I heard the medicated feed was to strong for the quails so I took the safe route and just grab the nonmedicated -- I also use lids for the water ( like from a jar of peanut butter ) put very little water and I tilt the lid so if a baby lands in it they can roll right back out with the lid being tilted so far this works fine even with my button babies

I also dont grind the food up for any of my quail I just add alittle water to it and make a paste/mash and change it several times a day to keep it from going bad - so far all mine have taken to this mash great - as they get older I reduce the amount of water until they are eating it dry.

of course these are things I do here - so feel free to do what works best for you and your little baby LOL

Oh wow, you are right.....quaily was pecking the eyes of the poor chick. Poor chick looked really tired like my cute little quaily wasn't letting him get any sleep either. After we took the chick away from our quaily he was sooooo sad
sad.png
but now he is quiet again. My cute little quail was the bulley!
lol.png

Hey there Crazy4Chicks!
cool.png
I have high hopes for my new bator! I am just addicted now!!!
lol.png
I am giving my daughter this mini incubator I had and me and DH just bought a Little Giant yesterday at TSC. Now I just need some eggs!!!

I am gonna swing by the feed store after my baby wakes and get some food for my quail. I love him and do what the best for him!
big_smile.png

our quail have become very spoiled members of the family LOL ours stay in the house in wire cages in a spare room and get lots of attention LOL

I have been growing grass seed in swallow dishes for them to have a little yard to play in LOL after a few hours I take it back out - reseed if needed and water it let it grow out for another week or so and give it back to them they LOVE it LOL

mine also get cooked rice, mashed potatoes, veggies and little pieces of bread - very spoiled lol

once you get your LG set up make sure you use a surge protector and let it run for a few days so the temps get set - you will have to keep it in a draft free room and check the temps often like I said it can be alittle tricky. but I LOVE mine and have been using it for over a year now and plan on getting at least one more when I get back into raiseing chickens again.

I also got mine from TSC - looking into getting the fan kit and the turner for mine next.

Oh wow Crazy4Chicks your quails are spoiled
tongue.png
I have the feeling my little quaily is gonna be too
wink.png

Thanks for all the tips too! I was gonna just turn on the new incubator for a few hours and then have DH put the eggs I bought yesterday in.....maybe I should go ahead and turn it on.
hmm.png
DH normally handles all that, but I can go read the directions and fire up the new incubator!!! I bought guinea eggs from a BYC member that lived in the same town as me yesterday. I probably need to get them in there soon.....
wink.png

Ok...........I am off to get the incubator outta the package! Wish me luck!!!
tongue.png

let the bator run for about 2-3 days if possible this will give you a chance to set the temps and give you an idea how it will do overnight -- sometimes my LG will drop temp a little at night time make sure you run it with water also to help you get a better reading

I do not use the thermo thingy that comes with the bator it is just a cheap little thing - I use a Flukers set at " egg level " works PERFECT !! I LOVE it !!

if your eggs were given to you freshly laid they should be alright to rest on the counter pointy side down for 2-3 days while your bator gets set.

good luck with them !! hope you have LOTS of new babies

Back
Top Bottom