OMG, She's laying an egg!!!

momto5ladies

Chirping
Jul 3, 2016
I think my Ziggy is laying her first egg!!! This will be my first egg too. Is there anything I should do? She's in the nesting box, but gets up to redecorate the box (kicking everything around). Should I offer water? Food? How long will this take?

The other two girls are laying watch at the coop door.

update, just looked out and Ziggy is out and walking around. Maybe she is just getting ready??? I don't know.

Last edited:
How exciting! Your hen may just be scouting for a place to lay her egg, the fact that she was checking out the nesting box is a good sign. Remember that she will try and find a safe place to lay it so be careful about hanging around the nesting boxes too much as that might discourage her. You shouldn't have to provide any extra food or water other than their normal rations. The eggs will be pretty small at first but will gradually get bigger as the weeks go by. You might have some weird shaped or seemingly deformed eggs at first too, but again this will stop with time. (Unless its a gene thing)
Keep us posted!

Last edited:
I thought, what the heck, I'll check the nesting box and there it was!!!!! The perfect egg!!! I'm so excited. Now I really need help. Ziggy is only 21 weeks olds. Itsy and Bitsy who are with her are only about 16 weeks old. I was hoping Ziggy would lay later.... But everyone is on Medicated Growth food. I know I need to stop the medicated feed but is there something I can feed them all? I'm thinking Itsy and Bitsy are too young for laying food. I'm not worried at all at getting eggs at this point, I just want what's safe for them. Also if I put oyster shells out will Ziggy be the only one to eat it or do I have to worry about the others eating it too?

How exciting! Your hen may just be scouting for a place to lay her egg, the fact that she was checking out the nesting box is a good sign. Remember that she will try and find a safe place to lay it so be careful about hanging around the nesting boxes too much as that might discourage her. You shouldn't have to provide any extra food or water other than their normal rations. The eggs will be pretty small at first but will gradually get bigger as the weeks go by. You might have some weird shaped or seemingly deformed eggs at first too, but again this will stop with time. (Unless its a gene thing)
Keep us posted!

Oh you should see it!!! It's perfect. Too bad I cant use it since the chicks are on medicated food. If you can help with that please do. And yes, it is exciting!!

CONGRATULATIONS!
You can start them on layer ration at this age and it won't hurt them, oyster shells won't be a problem either.

Ok, I'll switch the food tonight. Do you know long I should wait before I can consume the eggs?

If it has an antibiotic in the feed, I would wait at least a couple weeks. Again I've never used it before so I'm not sure, maybe someone else has and might be able to help us both on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom