OMG they are going outside!!!!!!!!!!

szy.cpr

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 26, 2007
hertfordshire/england
ok so my husband has just gone to pick up our coop, the chicks are 6 weeks old and are out growing their brooder so we figured its now or never.......im terrified, they love being outside and rooting around in the mud BUT ALL NIGHT! im just scared for them,when i look at some of the other pics on this site the chicks seem massive compared to mine,weve made it extra safe so i hope no predators can get in but still, it feels like my kids first day at school and to make it worse we are going on holiday next week and leaving my (resposible) 16 years old nephew to look after them........OMG IM STRESSED:th

I wouldn't worry. My second set of chickens went to the coop at about that age and did great. The only thing was that I free range my chickens all day, then at night they go in the coop themselves. All I do is shut the door and lock it. Well...these new chicks would just find the closest place to roost and I'd have to go scoop them up and show them where to go. This was only for about the first week. Now they are usually in the coop ahead of the older chickens.

Sounds like quiet a situation! If it were me, I wouldn't be going away... They should be fine though. As long as no predators can get in. That's what always gets me, they always find a way in... Good Luck

Ugh i'm in a predicament too. My dad is still making the coop and the chicks are 9 weeks old. oy vey. So they live in a large collapsable dog kennel in my basement At night and come out in a big playpen all day from 9 to about 7 or 8. Is this ok?
i feel terrible, but my dad can only work on the coop one day a week, so its been very slow progress

Last edited:
Im pretty sure no predators can get in and we live in a very built up area and ive never even seen a fox, but plase keep your fingers crossed for us, as for the holiday its been planned for months and my 4 kids have never been away b4, there is no way i could get out of it.Ive done everything i possible can for the chicks lets just hope its enough. Oh and can you tell me what floor bedding is the best for their coop, im using pine shavings in their brooder right now.

I think litter is a personal preference. I use hay. I like that I can get the pitchfork and scoop it out. I'm not sure, but I think the hay is cheaper than shavings (where I'm at anyway).

Man... mine went out at 3-1/2 weeks all night and I was so petrified that my husband set up a "nanny cam" in the coop--overexposed so that I could see my chicks by the light of the heat lamp! LOL! It was easily 3am before I was able to go to sleep (after making dh go out at 1:30am to lower the heat lamp!) LOL!

They're now 5 weeks old and just a few days ago we finally stopped closing their floor at night and their heat lamp is off. They're doing great.

I'll be thinking of you!
caf.gif

Wow that's cheap! I pay, I think, $9 a bale! Geez...what kind of hay do you use? I don't really use much hay, as I only have 7 chickens. A square bale lasts quite a while, so even at $9/bale it's still not very much money. Still, I'd love to only pay $2.75/bale! There was a while when there was no hay to be found because all the rain prevented cutting. I had to wait about 2 weeks to be able to get any. Wow, $2.75...

ive only been buying bags for the moment because ive only got 6 chicks but its very inexpensive here, but we did just finally find a place the supplies all chicken feed ect and they sell bales of hay for about £5. so i think i will use hay, ill be cleaning out once every week so i think hay will be fine, how thick should i lay it in the bottom of the coop and in the nest boxes?

Back
Top Bottom