OMG what am i dealing with? FINAL UPDATE # 104**graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this info at Merck on Gangrenous Dermatitis: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/204900.htm

This
can come on spontaneously in young birds, but can also result from seriously infected injuries. Merck says:
"Gangrenous skin necrosis may be associated with various aerobic and anaerobic bacteria; however, Clostridium septicum , Clostridium perfringens type A, and Staphylococcus aureus , either singly or in combination are most often involved."

You've not said what (if any) antibiotics you've been adding to the water. Merck recommends:
"Chlortetracycline, oxytetracycline, erythromycin, or penicillin in the water have proved beneficial for staphylococcal infections."

Notice that there is no mention of sulfa drugs (like Sulmet) being effective against staph.

In my experience, in the majority of cases, it is more effective to see if you can identify chicken health problems yourself and provide the needed care than it is to take the chicken to a vet. Few vets have a ready knowledge of conditions relating to chickens--research and trial will be needed. You have more time to observe symptoms close-up and explore possible diagnoses than a vet will for one individual animal.

There is a lot of excellent and in-depth info for us to read on the internet. I have had more success using the BYC forum and internet research to diagnose and treat chicken ailments than in consulting with vets--including talking on phone to major poultry vets at ag college--or using the services of a vet lab.

It sounds like you have the rare good fortune of havinga good poultry vet nearby you could take the hen to if you think that's best. However, I think you still have much possibility of giving good treatment using just online info if you decide not to take her to the vet.

There's adding yet another 2 cents in, for what it's worth
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You can still love a chicken and be not willing to spend a bunch of money. In fact I think anyone who would spend big bucks to save a chicken or even a dog is crazy. I guess since you love your dog you would probably take out a loan even if it the treatment was for $20,000. Am I right?... since you love him? If not why? You love him right? Oh your are now thinking about putting him down to end his suffering!!!! Everyone has their limits on the amount they can spend, doesn't mean they love their animal any less than the next guy. Just want to add...my Vets crack jokes about the "crazy ones" that make them $$$$.

Not taking sides, and I will not judge anyone else here as I believe it's the owner's decision. The OP is trying hard to take care of the chicken and obviously cares or would've culled her immediately. Just wanted to add I have spent $11,000 on one of my dogs and we didn't have that much money just sitting in the bank waiting to be used... Crazy perhaps but she is 100% fine and is the best dog in world to us and is currently sleeping next to me on the couch
love.gif

Not me I would never spend that kind of money to save any animal. I care about my pets but not enough to go to crazy extremes. I think about the future of my child and would rather put a animal down and know If I die today I've got money in the bank for my kid.

Quote:
I think you hit it dead on thank you so much . she is on super booster right now
SUPER BOOSTER

Water Soluble Antibiotic and Vitamin Premix for Chickens, Turkeys, Swine and Calves

Veterinary Use Only

Active ingredients per 100 g pouch

Penicillin G potassium 4 961 333 I.U.

Streptomycin sulfate 15 333 mg

Vitamin A 750 000 I.U.

Vitamin D3 250 000 I.U.

Vitamin B12 241 mcg

Riboflavin 333 mg

Calcium d-pantothenate 750 mg

Niacinamide 2 500 mg

Pyridoxine HCl 326 mg

Vitamin K3 333 mg

Vitamin E (dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) 750 I.U.

I have also been applying a triple antibiotic ointment like polysporin that has vitamin E along with:

Bacitracin- Bacitracin is used in human medicine as a polypeptide antibiotic and is "approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in chickens and turkeys.

gramicidin- Gramicidin is a heterogeneous mixture of six antibiotic compounds

polymyxin (i know this is not affective but i cant remove it)

its not that I dont want to take her to the vet, or the fact that i cant afford it..... I just spent over $400 on my dog at the vet and thats just the beginning of my vet bill.. I would rather spend my money on my dog then a chicken (i know it sounds harsh but it is not meant to sound that way)... its like spending $100 at a vet for a $10 hamster... not a wise investment in my opinion.. These are not show birds, they are a hobby and I am not about to go into debt for a hobby.

Dar,

If it helps..... I think you've got your priorities in the right order. Good luck with your bird!

Any updates? How is your hen? Her skin looked awful, I hope it is improving. Although it made me chuckle to think of bathing a chicken - I am new to this and haven't had to do it yet- it's always good to get the wound clean and get the gunk off! Then it dry out and breathe. I hope it is improving. Any new pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom