OMIGOSH people i think I have learned to speak chicken!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EE lover:), Aug 3, 2010.

1. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    yesterday i was getting the chickens more feed when they caused a huge commotion. i tried to mimic them and i sound alot like them. they even answered back! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] is this normal? or even probable? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    [​IMG] welcome to the darkside...

heres your cookie [​IMG]

3. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    lol

4. BettyR

BettyR Songster 10 Years

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Our woodworking shed is inside the fence that keeps the chickens out of our yard and garden. My son was inside the shed picking up a few things and he had left the doors open so of course some of the chickens followed him in. Well he’s thinking he’s going to scare them out of the shed and mimics the warning call of the roosters. But instead of them running out the door like he thought they would, they run to the corners of the shed and hide. I was laughing my rear off. He had the most shocked look on his face. He had no idea that they would respond to him that way.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member 10 Years

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    When I was younger, I used to love to listen to my chickens' noises and try to imitate their sounds. They do have a pretty interesting language all their own, and it isn't too hard for people to figure out what the different noises mean if they observe their chickens' behavior.

There are a couple chicken calls that are pretty easy for people to do. The rooster's "I found food!" call is one of them (I think it sounds like, "Tk tk tk tk tk!"). Try to do it at the same rate of speed the rooster does. My big white rooster would go on forever making the "Tk tk tk tk!" noise, and the hens would come running. It was like he was so excited about his meal that he forgot to start eating it. He'd be clucking as he was stuffing his face, too.

Another call that will get your chickens freaking out is the sort of cackling noise of alarm. They start off with a sort of low, "Buck buck buck buck...," speed it up a little, and then go off with a loud, "Be-gawk!" ("Buck buck buck buck buckbuckbuckbuckbuck be-gawk! buck buck be-gawk!") [​IMG] If you have any flighty or paranoid members of your flock, this will really get them going.

There are a few more sort of clucking, growling sounds you can learn to do, but they are more in the back of the throat and are hard to describe with the Roman alphabet. Hee hee... Just listen to your chickens and try to imitate them closely. You'll get a few odd looks from family members, but it's pretty fun to attempt to communicate with your animals in their own language.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i do the same thing-everyone thinks i'm crazy, but i'm currently working on a commanding crow as if from the top roosterm(even though i guess technically i'd be considered a hen [​IMG] )-i can get them to quiet down and listen to me or to crow back. i also imitate the whistling noises a rooster makes to calm the flock which works quite well if i need to settle them down. besides noises, i've also noticed body language-hens softly pecking a rooster's face out of adoration (i can do this with a finger) or the stern look one rooster may give another challenging one, and how chickens clack their beaks when they are contented. anyway, don't worry, your not alone!

7. blueraspberry

blueraspberry In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    whats the rooster warning call sound like????????????

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    kinda like a growl. the rooster usually stands up straight and arches his neck when he does this.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Trust me, if you have your back to the chickens & rooster, busy doing something, and you hear the sound of a rather large pit bull growling - and you don't have a pit bull, that's probably your rooster making a warning call.

I looked around to see if the neighbor's rottweiler [puppy] was at the fence, upset about something. Nada. How odd, I thought. Maybe the neighbor's golden retriever is - amazingly - guarding his favorite toy ball from that rottie pup??

Noop. Huh.

The next time I heard it, I turned to see my EE rooster with his neck feathers all puffed up, and he did it a second time. My gawd, that came from a CHICKEN????

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hahah, I mimic my hens all the time. Our lead hen as a particular, garbled/growly kind of voice, so if I ever "say" something in "her" voice the other ones listen up right away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: