Omlet Chicken Fencing - Warning if you have dogs

Mdm Cluck Cluck

Chirping
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to post a warning for those of you who might be thinking of using the Omlet Chicken Fencing (not electrified, mobile fencing). Its not designed to keep foxes, cats or dogs out, but to contain hens where you want them to be and not in your vegetable patch or devouring precious border plants.

I bought some just before Christmas so that I could vary the run area for my flock of beautiful 10 feathery girls in my back garden. We wanted something unobtrusive, mobile and inexpensive. The Omlet fencing hit the mark. Its pretty good and while it was up, my girls did not get out of it much to their disgust. And I would certainly recommend it.

However this morning I had a situation with the Omlet fencing which I feel should be flagged up for anyone thinking of getting this type of fencing if they have dogs. I have 2 medium largish rescue dogs, Reggie an enthusiastic young 3 year old Staffie X Greyhound (we think) & Gypsy a much slower and sedate 10/11 year old black Lab X GSD. Both our dogs are fine with the hens and mingle quite freely. The only issues we ever have with them is Reggie attempting to eat goodies or hen porridge put down for the birds (he didn't get the nickname 'The Walking Stomach' for nothing) and Lady Penelope our most hen pecked hen beats him up if he's behaving improperly! A few choice pecks on the offending nose and he pulls his head out of range sharply!

I don't know what happened but the dogs had disappeared just before the school run this morning. Looked everywhere. Then my youngest son ran up and told me that Gypsy was trapped in the Omlet fencing in the back garden and pinned down. Reggie was waiting with her. When I got there she was in a right state. she was completely entangled in about a third of the Omlet fencing. Sounds quite funny but it wasn't.

She was pinned down on her side and unable to get up the netting was trapping legs, neck, head and jaws. She was struggling to breathe. In her panic the poles which are spiked into the ground and netting kept down with metal pegs had also been caught up and tangled and bunched up and she was bleeding quite badly. I had to cut her free which took a long time as it was very difficult being able to get enough leeway to get her head free enough to lift it and cut through the netting trapped with the poles. And the netting wrapped around her head and neck which was cutting into her eyes, jaws, teeth and tongue was near impossible. Luckily she hadn't been speared by the ground spikes at the end of the poles as she'd thrashed about. But she was not in a good way and I ended up having the vet check her over after dropping my son at school.

I'm not criticising the Omlet fencing - it worked perfectly for the hens and Omlet do not claim it will keep dogs out. And I hadn't bought it in order to keep the dogs out, although until this morning they haven't done anything with the fencing or tried to leap it. However I hadn't envisaged the possibility of what could happen to a dog trapped in the netting. I'm NOT saying don't get the Omlet fencing if you have dogs, What I am saying is to have a think about whether its the right solution for you and bear in mind what could happen in light of my 'excitement' this morning.

Regards, Madame Cluck Cluck

I'm so sorry that you and your dogs had to go through that - and glad that your older girl is going to be ok. What a scare! Thanks for the warning. I wonder if there is anything you can do that would make it safer to have around???

Isn't it amazing what sort of trouble they can get into. I have a shelti/beagle/who knows what that actually goes looking for trouble (adventure) on a daily basis. He keeps me on my toes just trying to keep him safely in the yard. I finely had to resort to the radio fencing (hanging from the insulators where the failure electric fence used to be) and he still tests it daily and bolts if the battery in his collar gets low. The weird thing is that he doesn't go anywhere! He goes in the barn, eats the horse poo and dumps the trash. Then into the compost pile for a nice stink roll. Around the front yard to lay lawn bombs in the flower beds and then back to the gate - to look all innocent as if to say "I have no idea how I ended up out here but I'd really, really like to be let back in."

Thanks, yes she's been pretty shaken and has stiffened up (she's arthritic in her back legs). She is refusing to go up the back garden atm (this from the dog who follows me everywhere), but she's ok.

My younger dog is the one who usually gets into mischief! Sounds like he and your shelti/beagle have been comparing notes - they sound quite similiar personalities!

Just not sure now what to do re the fencing situation. While I love having the girls everywhere its not sustainable. They are so funny checking out what we are up to by looking in the patio doors, tapping on the door to remind me they want breakfast or corn, And that funny waddling run they do when they spot me coming out of the house always makes me smile. I miss it when they are restricted to the back garden - on the other hand it is also quite nice not to be picking up chicken poo from all the paths and patios, not to mention being able to reclaim the vegetable patch and wild garden. My 3 1/2ft picket fence and gates around the veggies is easily vaulted over by the girls and the box hedge is only just the height of the fence - it needs to be alot taller before its a challenge to the 'hen bounce'!

"hen bounce" LOVE IT!

By the way - Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The last word on this I promise as I realise this is a chicken site, but my dog who had the run in with the Omlet fencing and who I got checked out at the vets the day it happened.... noticed a funny smell today and then saw the gaping wound on her neck. Took her straight to vets - extremely badly infected - £540 of emergency surgery. When under the knife they called me to let me know it would be more money - they had found extensive injuries.

Over £600 poorer I brought her home tonight. And I need to take her back in tomorrow and Monday so they can check and remove the drains they've put in her. If she goes downhill over the weekend I need to get her seen to immediately.

Not sure who I'm more cross and upset with, myself for buying the Omlet fencing, taking the vet's word for it she was ok and not noticing any wounds, or the vet for not competently checking her properly so she could have had everything cleaned up and treated 3 days ago. Seeing the condition of her when I brought her home I can't believe they missed so many injuries.

Its not Omlet's fault but that fencing is heading straight for the bin.

Hi there,

Yes she's much better thanks, the stitches are coming out today & I think she's looking forward to going on walks off lead again.
ya.gif
My Mum is going into Respite Care for a week so am looking forward to some nice long walks with the dogs and pottering around the garden with the Girls. How are you?

Madame Cluck Cluck XX

(By the way if I didn't say - Madame Cluck Cluck is the name we gave our Bluebelle - she's a very vocal girl!)

It's good to hear that your dog will be O.K.

Thanks for posting. You may save someone else from having a similar problem, or at least for people with the fencing to be alert, and put any treats/chicken feed far from the edge of the netting fence.

I have fencing that is similar to Omlet's - made of netting from a company in the USA called Premiere1.

One of our dogs stuck a head through the netting squares...and the head was just big enough to get caught, so I can see how easily what you described could happen. In my case, I think she ripped the string/netting before she got tangled.

So glad your girl is fine! Don't beat yourself up about not noticing the initial wounds that became infected. It easily could have been a very small puncture that abcessed with time. Years ago I worked as a vet tech and I can't count the occasions something similar happened.

Hope she continues to improve by leaps and bounds.

I'm so sorry about your dog! That must have terrified you. I have this sweet dog, Jessie, and I don't want anything to happen to her. Thanks for the information on the fencing! I'm glad she's okay though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom