Omlet coops

I like the plastic idea but they are TINY and where is the Roost ?
The pic of the Eglu one shows many chickens, but it is really not big enough for one (ok maybe one).
You can't put this is direct sun as it will Cook the chickens inside it. I am sure they don't tell you that. I couldn't even do that here with our Summer.

:(

Hi, I’ve already got one Cube and also a Go henhouse. The cube houses four to five large birds very easily. Maximum for the Go is three large birds. If you have smaller birds then the number is higher. My birds are very large, especially Big Pauli. The cube is attached to a two metre square tall enclosed run which is inside a fifty metre electric fence. The runs and coops all come with protective skirting, which you can also screw down, to stop predators diggers.

The roost area is next to the nesting area. Two large birds often use the nest at the same time!

Errr, it doesn’t cook the chickens, it’s very well ventilated. The nesting box does get hot as I had to put the cube in full sun (we have Mediterranean weather here in summer) due to the layout of the electric fence. I put the smaller go coop in the shade so that an afternoon layer doesn’t get hot - the morning temperature in the cube is ok even in full sun but the afternoons are a problem. I do put shade covers on, for the runs, in summer and clear covers in winter.

The Omlet hen houses are a doddle to clean and, crossing both sets of fingers, we’ve not had any mite issues unlike our French friends with traditional wooden hen houses who are plagued with them.

I’ve been very pleased with them so far hence the reason I’m looking to get another one. Back up service has also been very good. Chicken keeping is addictive!

Thanks SW31 -- I get emails from Omlet and have been curious about how well constructed the plastic coops are and how well they would deter predators. It's good to hear from someone with first-hand knowledge.

I likely won't ever buy one, however, because I live in a century-old farmhouse with a big wooden barn, and the plastic design wouldn't really fit in with the rustic (and by that, I probably mean old-looking) buildings here.

But, I still appreciate hearing your point of view.

I understand, however we live in 200 plus year old farmhouse in rural France but the coop still blends in - hint we choose the green colour rather than the vivid option and put it near trees to blend it in!

We have a lot of problems with foxes and hunting dogs. The foxes are very brazen here and will steal chickens even if kids are in a pool close to the chicken run, this happened to local friends. The roosting area is very secure and we also lock up the enclosed run every night. The electric fence provides the third level defence - we run it from an electric point rather than battery as friends have lost chickens due to battery failure.

Crikey, what a night tonight. Pauli wanted to sleep in the cube but wouldn’t let me pick her up to put her in their. Grizzi wanted to get Sammi out and did so several times. Grizzi ended up getting walloped, Sammi slept in the nesting area ( I put paper in to protect the nesting material) and Pauli went to bed in the smaller Go. A lot of bad behaviour but I’m the rooster and what I say goes!

Ps. I would have liked to put Pauli with the others as it’s a cold night but we bought extra insulation for the little Go so she should be warm.

Well, went ahead and ordered a second Cube and it’s being delivered tomorrow. Just now need to wait until spring to buy some more hens!
Daaamn.... balla' status, YO! Do you have a money tree in your backyard or something?

Back
Top Bottom