Omlet Cube/Run

TP2

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Hi All-
Just a tip to all....We do really love our Eglu cube. We have a small flock (5) of urban chickens with the largest walk in run. We have placed the cube inside the run. There was a post here that spoke of the run not being safe. The person left their chickens in the run overnight and lost several... and, yep, and we did that as well, newbie mistake.....
The next morning we lost three of our young Speckled Sussex to raccoons. They can easily reach in and grab the chickens. We have now placed hardware cloth three feet up from the base of the walk in run and placed a lock on the gate. The chickens are absolutely locked in their cube every night.
The quality and ease of the entire Eglu system is otherwise great. Pricey, yes but well worth it.

The Eglu looks cute and ideal for someone who wants a neighborhood backyard chicken coop for a few chickens. It looks like Eglu has thought of everything from ventilation, warmth, apron, and ease of cleaning. TP2’s tip (adding smaller hardware cloth) seems like a good one as The wire meld seems to be a bit large. Thanks for the review from one happy user.

I have an omlet cube and run, as well (chicks have been out in it for 3 weeks), and I really like it so far. It's crazy easy to clean and it fits perfectly under my smaller trees. I'm on a neighborhood lot, so I wanted something low-profile; and between small children and work, a low-maintenance coop is a priority. I lock the chicks up in the cube each night but have also started adding hardware cloth along the bottom of the run for some extra protection.

I do think the coop size is overrated - I have 6 chicks in there now but will be giving away 1 or 2 to a friend once her chicken set-up is finished. I've seen folks with 6 grown chickens in the cube (and that's the max # omlet recommends) but it seems tight to me. (Right now, they're nearly 7 weeks old and all in each other's pockets anyway.)

Back
Top Bottom