Omlet Eglu Cube w/Run - Number of Hens?

Pics

Amgill0415

Songster
Jan 11, 2020
Northwest Indiana
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and this will be my first year keeping chickens! Based on my research and what I want for my chickens, I have decided to go with the Omlet Eglu Cube with 9 foot run. I plan on letting the girls out in the yard outside of the run when they can be supervised. I'm curious on people's experience with the Elgu Cube and more importantly, how many hens are you housing in it? I've read anywhere from 3 - 8 would be fine. I was thinking of 4 - 6 personally, but want everyone to be comfortable and happy. I'm going to go with a rainbow egg maker assortment from a hatchery. Considering a rooster also, just since I think they are so fun :) Thanks in advance!

It can house no more than 4. Honestly don’t get why they advertise such high numbers on their site, it’s terrible. I’d recommend adding extra ventilation. Also, a rooster may be rough on just 3 hens.

Are you sure you want an Eglu? They’re expensive for something that is really quite rubbish (and tiny) compared to other options.

Thanks for responding! Yeah, I want to go with the Eglu cube. I want something that is mobile so I can move it around the yard. I like the enclosed run and the skirt around the base. I also want something that is plastic, as I've had wooden enclosures and houses for things before and they are so hard to get CLEAN. I know its pricey, but when compared to the price I would be paying for the wooden coops that would be stationary and not have an enclosure included with it, it actually pretty comparable. Plus, if the weather should get SUPER terrible, I should be able to move the whole thing into a garage for added protection.

Also, as far as the rooster goes, are you saying that in general, or because I want to use the cube?

Honestly don’t get why they advertise such high numbers on their site, it’s terrible.
All prefab coop manufacturers population numbers are about double what is generally healthy, especially in a harsh climate.

I also want something that is plastic, as I've had wooden enclosures and houses for things before and they are so hard to get CLEAN.
What other 'things'(I'm assuming other animals) have you had?
Well, poop happens.... pretty hard to keep a chicken coop pristine.
Think about your access to get in there to clean, especially during a blizzard.

Plus, if the weather should get SUPER terrible, I should be able to move the whole thing into a garage for added protection.
Might think about building a large weather proof run to put the cube in.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Amgill0415 ..thanks for adding your location.

Thanks for responding! Yeah, I want to go with the Eglu cube. I want something that is mobile so I can move it around the yard. I like the enclosed run and the skirt around the base. I also want something that is plastic, as I've had wooden enclosures and houses for things before and they are so hard to get CLEAN. I know its pricey, but when compared to the price I would be paying for the wooden coops that would be stationary and not have an enclosure included with it, it actually pretty comparable. Plus, if the weather should get SUPER terrible, I should be able to move the whole thing into a garage for added protection.

Also, as far as the rooster goes, are you saying that in general, or because I want to use the cube?
I do not yet have chickens and have spent tons of time looking at coops. I was also looking at the Eglu because of the idea of cleaning plastic rather than wood. I watched some videos on youtube where people discussed it....and showed it with chickens inside. I felt it was just too cramped....chickens were staying in the "nest" area (pooping all over it) because it's on the same level as the roost and because the entire thing is small. I also don't like the idea of them being contained for days with no natural light....and I felt ventilation was lacking. I was tempted....but the youtube videos helped me see it wasn't going to make me happy. Perhaps you'd like to watch some of those (not the ones posted by Eglu).

All prefab coop manufacturers population numbers are about double what is generally healthy, especially in a harsh climate.

What other 'things'(I'm assuming other animals) have you had?
Well, poop happens.... pretty hard to keep a chicken coop pristine.
Think about your access to get in there to clean, especially during a blizzard.

Might think about building a large weather proof run to put the cube in.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Amgill0415 ..thanks for adding your location.
I've had pigeons personally in a wooden outside coop and for years worked at a place that kept chickens and quail in wooden pens. They just always seemed so run down and dirty, even after being new and thoroughly cleaned.

I do not yet have chickens and have spent tons of time looking at coops. I was also looking at the Eglu because of the idea of cleaning plastic rather than wood. I watched some videos on youtube where people discussed it....and showed it with chickens inside. I felt it was just too cramped....chickens were staying in the "nest" area (pooping all over it) because it's on the same level as the roost and because the entire thing is small. I also don't like the idea of them being contained for days with no natural light....and I felt ventilation was lacking. I was tempted....but the youtube videos helped me see it wasn't going to make me happy. Perhaps you'd like to watch some of those (not the ones posted by Eglu).
Ive watched and read everything I could on them, both from omlet and other independent reviews. I think for my set up and what I'm looking for il still give it a go. What coop did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?

Ive watched and read everything I could on them, both from omlet and other independent reviews. I think for my set up and what I'm looking for il still give it a go. What coop did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind at all!:D I am currently preparing to move from Ohio (where I have always lived and have never had chickens) to Connecticut (where I hope to start my flock in spring 2021) . So....I haven't decided on any yet! I'm still searching for "the one". Good luck with yours and please let us know how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom