Omlet Eglu Cube with 13' run & Raccoons

wunderlong88

Chirping
Apr 5, 2022
I just purchased the Eglu Cube for a grow out pen and coop and didn't realize the size of the steel cage holes are large enough for a coon's hand to reach through and grab a chicken. Somehow I overlooked that and since it said predator proof I assumed they were smaller. Any ideas how to easily remedy this issue? I should have paid more attention but am hoping for a reasonable solution.

I only bought this to use for occasional use as a grow out pen or to house roosters for a few weeks waiting to process for meat. I have a large walk in coop for my adult chickens and a brood coop for chicks.

Add hardware clothe around it. I have a Omlet Cube and attached run and walk in run. I don't have problems with predators. But occasionally a mouse/rat will come through looking for food.

Attachments

• 20210807_091000.jpg
    20210807_091000.jpg
    851.9 KB · Views: 67
Add hardware clothe around it. I have a Omlet Cube and attached run and walk in run. I don't have problems with predators. But occasionally a mouse/rat will come through looking for food.

Ok. I can't really see in the pic what you did exactly. I would like to be able to leave mine in the run at night and not lock them in the coop. It is super hot here in Texas and I have found in the summer they don't want to be in a coop and resort to trees. This is my adult chicken coop. It has shelter in the green painted (north) end but it is totally open to the run. My chickens sleep on the opposite end on roosts in the total open. There are roosts in the sheltered end but they have no interest in them.

Attachments

• 20220317_185256_HDR.jpg
    20220317_185256_HDR.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 72
Ok. I can't really see in the pic what you did exactly. I would like to be able to leave mine in the run at night and not lock them in the coop. It is super hot here in Texas and I have found in the summer they don't want to be in a coop and resort to trees. This is my adult chicken coop. It has shelter in the green painted (north) end but it is totally open to the run. My chickens sleep on the opposite end on roosts in the total open. There are roosts in the sheltered end but they have no interest in them.
I don’t have any extra protection around my attached run. But my girls sleep in the coop at night. I feel like they'd be ok in the attached run at night but its always a risk. I'm sorry I'm not very helpful.

i have a Cube and a well protected run (omlet run with HWC added- you can just attach it with zip ties) but i never let them sleep in the run and i always close the Cube door at night. if you are worried about raccoons, i’d also recommend adding child safety door knob covers for the egg door and back door for extra security (determined raccoons could turn those levers).

i have a Cube and a well protected run (omlet run with HWC added- you can just attach it with zip ties) but i never let them sleep in the run and i always close the Cube door at night. if you are worried about raccoons, i’d also recommend adding child safety door knob covers for the egg door and back door for extra security (determined raccoons could turn those levers).
Hi. I have a cube too and have heard about putting the child safety knob covers on those levers, but can't imagine how they'd fit and how that would work - can you share a picture of what it looks like on your cube? And/or link the type of door covers that worked with the cube. I have lots of raccoons in my area and don't want to take any chances.
Another question, do you feel like you need to lock them in at night, in the coop, even with the added HWC? I've wrapped the Omlet 9'run in hardware cloth and surrounded it with pavers on top of the skirt to keep rats out and because I want to be able to leave their coop door open at night when it's really hot out overnight, since they seem so uncomfortable and there isn't a ton of ventilation. Do you think this is risky? nighttime predators in my really urban backyard really are only raccoons, opossums, rats, possibly weasels though very unlikely, and maybe owls. I have only ever seen opossums in my backyard though. I'm in the Bay Area, CA, in Santa Clara, so it's really urban. Hawks during the day are no joke, though! Thanks for your help.

Hi. I have a cube too and have heard about putting the child safety knob covers on those levers, but can't imagine how they'd fit and how that would work - can you share a picture of what it looks like on your cube? And/or link the type of door covers that worked with the cube. I have lots of raccoons in my area and don't want to take any chances.
Another question, do you feel like you need to lock them in at night, in the coop, even with the added HWC? I've wrapped the Omlet 9'run in hardware cloth and surrounded it with pavers on top of the skirt to keep rats out and because I want to be able to leave their coop door open at night when it's really hot out overnight, since they seem so uncomfortable and there isn't a ton of ventilation. Do you think this is risky? nighttime predators in my really urban backyard really are only raccoons, opossums, rats, possibly weasels though very unlikely, and maybe owls. I have only ever seen opossums in my backyard though. I'm in the Bay Area, CA, in Santa Clara, so it's really urban. Hawks during the day are no joke, though! Thanks for your help.
Here's the link to the ones I have: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/kidco-door-knob-locks-set-of-2/112240

A lot of people do the stove knob covers, but you have to cut the plastic to make it fit. The door knob covers come apart into 2 pieces, so you just fit them over the handle. It's not a perfect fit, but it works.

knob-cover.png

To add ventilation in the summer, you can take off the 3 grey vent covers and replace with HWC. Really helps with air flow
vents.png

I personally do not feel comfortable leaving them in the run (and I don't really have that many raccoons around), even though it's secure, so I always shut them in the Cube at night. I gave them some extra room to spread out by taking out the nesting box divider and making my own roosting bars. I have since ditched the grey roosting bars (not pictured), it's now it's even easier to keep clean because the poop doesn't get caught between the grey bars. I have 4 hens in here and they fit comfortably even when it's hot.

wood-roosts.png

Here's the link to the ones I have: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/kidco-door-knob-locks-set-of-2/112240

A lot of people do the stove knob covers, but you have to cut the plastic to make it fit. The door knob covers come apart into 2 pieces, so you just fit them over the handle. It's not a perfect fit, but it works.

View attachment 3227469

To add ventilation in the summer, you can take off the 3 grey vent covers and replace with HWC. Really helps with air flow
View attachment 3227471

I personally do not feel comfortable leaving them in the run (and I don't really have that many raccoons around), even though it's secure, so I always shut them in the Cube at night. I gave them some extra room to spread out by taking out the nesting box divider and making my own roosting bars. I have since ditched the grey roosting bars (not pictured), it's now it's even easier to keep clean because the poop doesn't get caught between the grey bars. I have 4 hens in here and they fit comfortably even when it's hot.

View attachment 3227472
Wow thank you for taking the time to upload the photos and give me ideas - I love the ventilation idea and to replace the inlet roosting bars (which I hate) and replace with my own! Do you just have separate nesting boxes? Thanks again! I love the ideas and will get the knob covers!

Do you just have separate nesting boxes?
Yes - I just use a cat litter box. It’s a triangle shape designed to go in a corner, and has a removable top. I leave the top off in summer so they stay cooler, and put the top on when it’s cold so they are out of the wind. Fake eggs worked to transition them to lay in it instead of in the Cube. I originally moved the nesting box into the run to create more space in the Cube, but when it got hot and I started hearing about hens dying in Cubes when laying, I was really glad I’d already made the switch. Now when it’s really hot, I lock them out of the Cube during the day, as it can easily get over 100 degrees in there.

Back
Top Bottom