OMLET NOT PREDATOR PROOF - DO NOT BUY

wat_da_cluck

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
SW Connecticut
I am so upset right now, I'm posting this here as well as under "predators." I have a large 6'x15' walk in chicken run from Omlet. A HAWK has been able to kill two of our beloved satin bantam chickens through the fencing. I am devastated.

Clearly 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth is standard for chicken runs for a reason. Omlet's runs are basically chicken and dog proof. Otherwise anything else can reach in and KILL YOUR CHICKENS. Including grounded HAWK. Waste of $1000 and will need to be replaced. If you DO own this run I recommend zip tying 1/2" hardware cloth to the outside of your run ASAP and reaching out to the company to complain.

See my "preditors" post for crime scene photos....

Im sorry you lost your biddies
You bought a prefab, they are known for not being secure since people who design coops and runs don't have chickens. You and a lot of people got shnookered.
Hardware cloth is the best line if defense against 90% of predators, I'd wire it to the fence, zip ties aren't very secure.
Don't forget to let it cover the ground around the run a few feet to prevent dig ins.

I am so upset right now, I'm posting this here as well as under "predators." I have a large 6'x15' walk in chicken run from Omlet. A HAWK has been able to kill two of our beloved satin bantam chickens through the fencing. I am devastated.

Clearly 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth is standard for chicken runs for a reason. Omlet's runs are basically chicken and dog proof. Otherwise anything else can reach in and KILL YOUR CHICKENS. Including grounded HAWK. Waste of $1000 and will need to be replaced. If you DO own this run I recommend zip tying 1/2" hardware cloth to the outside of your run ASAP and reaching out to the company to complain.

See my "preditors" post for crime scene photos....

So sorry about your birds.
$1,000! Holy Toledo! You could build a super nice and spacious backyard coop and run for that kind of money.

Do you have a picture of the whole coop and run setup? Although a replacement might be the best long term solution, there could be some short term solutions that might be worth taking. I am thinking Hardware cloth. Even zip tied to the existing fence and as an apron might get your more security for a while. Zip ties would allow easy removal to be reused for a new project. Using a few metal zip ties could work.

So sorry you lost your girls. It's terrible that you thought nothing could get through and it did. I have an omlet run as well, three of them in fact and just in looking at them I knew a raccoon could reach in very easily and pull or snag something, birds can fly in and out if they are small enough. I am slowly paneling my runs with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, it keeps the wild birds out and the rats too. I still like the sturdiness of the wire framework, I like that the panels can be taken out and replaced if needed, I like that I can use bungee cords and the welding won't break under normal use circumstances. I spent the money knowing that I would be doing that work. I understand you're upset, but if you look at the spacing in the run panels it's pretty clear that it's not 1/2 inch hardware cloth and things can come through. I don't know if you can blame the manufacturer, they offered a product and it is up to you to decide if it is going to work. Don't toss the run, just panel it with hardware cloth, starting at the lower panels, then if you want do the top. I totally understand how stressed you must be right now and I know I would be distraught over losing gals I thought were safe. We had an issue with a wall we thought was much higher than it was and we lost a bird to a coyote and I was completely devastated so I feel you.

So sorry you lost your girls. It's terrible that you thought nothing could get through and it did. I have an omlet run as well, three of them in fact and just in looking at them I knew a raccoon could reach in very easily and pull or snag something, birds can fly in and out if they are small enough. I am slowly paneling my runs with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, it keeps the wild birds out and the rats too. I still like the sturdiness of the wire framework, I like that the panels can be taken out and replaced if needed, I like that I can use bungee cords and the welding won't break under normal use circumstances. I spent the money knowing that I would be doing that work. I understand you're upset, but if you look at the spacing in the run panels it's pretty clear that it's not 1/2 inch hardware cloth and things can come through. I don't know if you can blame the manufacturer, they offered a product and it is up to you to decide if it is going to work. Don't toss the run, just panel it with hardware cloth, starting at the lower panels, then if you want do the top. I totally understand how stressed you must be right now and I know I would be distraught over losing gals I thought were safe. We had an issue with a wall we thought was much higher than it was and we lost a bird to a coyote and I was completely devastated so I feel you.
How did you panel yours?

May I ask how you are "paneling" with the hardware clothe? I want to attach it without scratching the paint on the omlet run. Would you mind posting pictures? Thank you.

May I ask how you are "paneling" with the hardware clothe? I want to attach it without scratching the paint on the omlet run. Would you mind posting pictures? Thank you.
Not an Omlet run, my chicks are still in the house… but I did reinforce the exterior of a farm store kit. Also adding 12”deep HC until run gets built, you can always retouch paint with low luster exterior paint, just a thought 😉

Attachments

• B1D46B1F-F765-4CDC-9AE0-F38A36DC3006.jpeg
    B1D46B1F-F765-4CDC-9AE0-F38A36DC3006.jpeg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DC93844E-E493-496D-9170-9DE51CD33879.jpeg
    DC93844E-E493-496D-9170-9DE51CD33879.jpeg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom