On a BYC Binge!

MobyMack

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this site! In fact, I've been sitting here for nearly three hours trying to soak it all in!

I'm a clucker newbie with aspirations of becoming a competent clucker-keeper, so I have a lot to learn!

I'm currently researching breeds and coop designs and reside in Raleigh, North Carolina. Our LORE only permits 4 birds, so I was considering two Black Australorp and two Buff Orpingtons. I'm hoping to complete the coop by early September, but that leaves me wondering whether I should get 4-week old chicks or started pullets. Our fall weather is typically mild, but if things get cold and nasty early in the season, I'm worried younger chicks would struggle. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for being so generous with your time and information!

Keep on clucking!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Nice breeds you have picked. With waiting until September to get chickens, would agree that started pullets are the easier way to go, and you'll get eggs sooner also.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! This is the place to learn and the Learning Center is a great place to start. You couldn't have picked out any better breeds. I have both Black Australorps (my favorite standard breed) and Buff Orpingtons. They are very hardy, beautiful, calm, and gentle birds, and the Australorps are outstanding layers (the Orpingtons are pretty good layers too). Good luck on completing your coop and getting your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Kelsie X2 Since you are waiting til fall, I would go with started pullets. They will not only start laying quicker but they can acclimate to the colder climate faster.

If you have any questions along the way, that is what we are here for. Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I also agree with started pullets. Know however, they will be harder to tame. Buff orps and black australorps are WONDERFUL breeds!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom