On Brewery Spent Grain

I posted a question regarding using spent grains from homebrewing to supplement feed a little while back. Most agreed at the time that it was "harmless" since it was stripped of nutrients, so I appreciate this insight into the fact that it's actually got to be pretty beneficial. I'm a small time homebrewer and my efficiency isn't great anyway, so there's plenty of good stuff left over for them. The few times I've brewed since getting chickens, it's been awesome to see how much they love it. I could be wrong, but I feel like my chickens are pretty good at knowing what they need. As long as their regular feed/supplements/access to grazing isn't replaced by the spent grains, it seems like it can only be a positive.

Well again, spent grain isn't fermented. It's removed from the wort well before the brewing yeast is added.

Yeah, technically it isn't fermented at the point you are done using it for brewing, but just by virtue of it being soaked with moisture and then sitting exposed to air, it is going to naturally start fermenting all on its own a little bit. Which is how some people do their fermented feed (no "starter"). Yeah, some add some "mother" or other yeast source, but some just add plain water to commercial chicken feed and then wait 48 hours for it to already be bubbling. I was super lazy when I fermented feed and didn't even use de-chlorinated water. Just right from the tap to the bucket. Fermented just fine with no (intentional) addition of yeast.

I think the key thing for people to think about when considering using brewing grains for feed is how soon after the grains are used for the wort are they being fed to the birds, and how "wet" are the grains being kept during that in-between period. When I was more into brewing, I knew some people who would freeze their spent grains for use later. Or they would try to squeeze as much wort out as they could by using a brew bag or cheesecloth, etc... Try to dry it out.

Beer and Chickens. Best thread ever! :cool:

Agree that an analysis of what's in the spent grain, and what a complete chicken diet contains, is a a great first step. If you could fill in any nutritional gaps (the food straps from the restaurant are probably a great start) I think it'd be a great long-term way to feed chickens and reduce waste.

Fresh eggs and beer make a great breakfast, I'd imagine. :drool

Thats the plan! Hopefully it comes to fruition.

I posted a question regarding using spent grains from homebrewing to supplement feed a little while back. Most agreed at the time that it was "harmless" since it was stripped of nutrients, so I appreciate this insight into the fact that it's actually got to be pretty beneficial. I'm a small time homebrewer and my efficiency isn't great anyway, so there's plenty of good stuff left over for them. The few times I've brewed since getting chickens, it's been awesome to see how much they love it. I could be wrong, but I feel like my chickens are pretty good at knowing what they need. As long as their regular feed/supplements/access to grazing isn't replaced by the spent grains, it seems like it can only be a positive.

You know especially how much is still left in your grain after sparging. Especially as a small batch brewer there is no reason to strip the grain of everything, it only adds something else that can affect the clarity, taste of your beer. When brewing big though that translates to lots of money in grain, so we try and get the most out of it without compromising the beer.

so is spent grain a sort of grade b fermented feed?

I'm not to familary with feremented feed, but for sure you are getting all the yeast in the air if you let this stuff sit for a day. Yeast for the most part is Vitamin b complex not sure what that does to chickens and there eggs. In humans it makes a hang over much more manageable. Your liver uses vitamin b to metabolize alcohol, yeast not only gives you alcohol, but also replenishes vitamin b it in your body. Its like gods way of letting you drink a couple of pints and not feel to bad. Next time you drink have a hefeweizen of Belgian Wit and enjoy those yeasties!

Well again, spent grain isn't fermented. It's removed from the wort well before the brewing yeast is added.

Correct!

thanks for the clarification

Thanks for showing me about chickens!

Yeah, technically it isn't fermented at the point you are done using it for brewing, but just by virtue of it being soaked with moisture and then sitting exposed to air, it is going to naturally start fermenting all on its own a little bit. Which is how some people do their fermented feed (no "starter"). Yeah, some add some "mother" or other yeast source, but some just add plain water to commercial chicken feed and then wait 48 hours for it to already be bubbling. I was super lazy when I fermented feed and didn't even use de-chlorinated water. Just right from the tap to the bucket. Fermented just fine with no (intentional) addition of yeast.

I think the key thing for people to think about when considering using brewing grains for feed is how soon after the grains are used for the wort are they being fed to the birds, and how "wet" are the grains being kept during that in-between period. When I was more into brewing, I knew some people who would freeze their spent grains for use later. Or they would try to squeeze as much wort out as they could by using a brew bag or cheesecloth, etc... Try to dry it out.

Yep you are absolutely right, don't worry about tap water not allowing yeast to do there job. Chlorine and Chloramine in our tap water stresses out brewers yeast a bit. you definitely don't want it for beer making as you will get a medicinal flavor in your beer. But i see no reason why a chicken would pick up on such things, especially when it is grain fermenting. In short tap water will not inhibit fermentation.

Back
Top Bottom