on expected hatch day,do you stay home or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Apr 29, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I expect any babies in my bator to start hatching next Wednesday into Thursday...and I just told our school secretary that I'd work next W, Th, and F....forgetting (what?!? How could I!?!) that hatch day is then. Do any of you work right through hatching and then take care of anything once you are home? or do you take those days off? I can come home for lunch those days and maybe even during a prep period...depending on what they give me...when it is, etc... I plan on using the egg carton method of hatching. There will (well hopefully anyways) be ducklings and chicks in this hatch. The duck eggs have been in there 1 week longer than the chick eggs. All are looking great so far when I've candled. We're getting so excited!
    Lisa

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't stay home...in fact I like it when I have to be gone most of the day....cuts down on the trips up and down the basement steps!! [​IMG]

3. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    I'm with Katy. After going through my current hatch, I think it would be best if I could see 1 hatch then have to leave for the rest. Too much temptation!!

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    i am going to have to hve someone drag me away from the incubator. I know I will be too tempted and open it and ruin them all. Maybe I'll just watch one...good luck! I've still got two weeks...

5. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

You know what they say about watch eggs... or is it pots?

[​IMG]

6. 4F FARM

4F FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    North Idaho
    I usually set so that I am home when they hatch. I'll set in the AM for a weeken hatch and an afternoon for a night hatch. It isn't always perfect, but I am usually home to watch them arrive.

7. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    My eggs are at school. During my first hatch I managed to pull myself away from the incubator those last few days, and then soon after returning to the school for hours into the night.

Then, I'd drag myself home for bed. Only to wake up in the wee hours of the morning driving to school before the janitor even. (On hatch day I was there at 6. I'm usually there at 7:30-8).

It's draaaaining.

(Next batch due NEXT Wednesday!)

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I really should plan my hatches better but I have babies due on thursday and I working a double at work. Being a icu nurse I don't think my coworkers or patients would appreciate it if I took time off every 3 weeks. I have two grown daughters home, one works in the afternoons and one is home from school in the evening. So I will have it covered, they will be texting me and sending me pics when the pipping begins.

9. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks all- I just wondered if I should be here in case a little one ran into trouble...or got caught between the egg carton and side walls, or whatever. I'll put something soft down on the wire bottom in case that happens, and just come home for lunch those days. Yo are right, if I was here all day,watching, I'd go crazy and maybe intervene when I shouldn't. or just have a nervous breakdown myself...this is so exciting so far, but I do know it can be so sad too. Can't wait to candle them tonight-1 week left is all.
    Lisa

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I go on with whatever I have planned. As hard as it is to be away,it would drive me crazy sitting at home,watching them. Kind of like Christmas,it comes quicker when you go to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by