On Heelers, In-Laws, and Home Defense....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Buster, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I posted this a couple days ago in the Workout thread, but felt it was a good enough story to retell here.

On Wednesday morning, at 1:23am, my dog started growling. Not one of those growling in her sleep growls, but a deep threatening growl. I hopped out of bed, threw on some pants, and grabbed my wife's .40 cal. (I don't open the door unarmed after I go to bed. A couple of years ago there were a group of kids out in the county who would knock on elderly people's doors in the middle of the night and assault and rob them. Don't bring that poop to my house) As I went down the hall, there was a light knock on the door. The dog started barking her head off. I opened the door a crack and who do I see but my brother-in-law.

OK, I have a brother-in-law who was in the Navy for 6 years. Whenever he was on leave he would come into town and stay with us. He doesn't always give a lot of notice because a lot of times he likes to surprise everyone with his visits. He's never any bother and has his own key. Most of the time life continues as if he's not here.

At any rate, apparently he tried to call but I turn my phone off at night and DW's was on vibrate so he left a message saying he was coming and don't shoot him. When he came in, DW said- oh yeah, I forgot you were coming. image I said, "really? cause I didn't even know." Apparently he had to knock because his key wouldn't work for some reason. Probably good for him because my dog wasn't crated and may have chewed his leg off for walking in in the middle of the night.

So he's staying here for a week, which is no biggie except that I didn't get sleep and it sucks.

I did find out when DW and I went back to bed that she had grabbed my 12 gauge shotgun and was standing in the hall with it while I answered the door with the 40 cal. I love this woman!

It can be dangerous to drop in unannounced at my house in the middle of the night.

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I will remember this and give at least 2 weeks notice, and maybe even send a certified letter to make sure you know when I am coming [​IMG]

3. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Sounds like my kind of house. When I first moved into my place, I was a freshly divorced female. I made sure the entire road (I am at the end of a deadend street) knew I worked with protection dogs and that I owned several and they WOULD bite. It also helped that I had distant family living on the same road who had seen said dogs.
    Even the police wait until I am visable before getting out of their vehicles. (usually about the wacking neigbor behind me).
    Never had any problems with un anounced visitors and IF anyone(stangers) pulled down my long drive, my GSD usually made sure they realized they were in the wrong place.
    New DH and I both have concealed weapons permits.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

We don't live far out in the country and I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, but I figure it's better to be prepared than caught unaware.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I will remember this and give at least 2 weeks notice, and maybe even send a certified letter to make sure you know when I am coming [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad it was just your brother-in-law [​IMG]

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Me too. It could have been a very different situation. I'm glad I have a dog that will give me a heads up like that.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I have a dog that will give the heads up, and has a big voice, but if you break in my house you better have shoes on or you will be stepping in PEE from where she wet herself and ran to the other room. Then you will have pee on your foot, and will be peeved that there is nothing worth stealing. [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

One of my dogs is afraid of my cat if that tells you anything.. lol The other I think would bite, he's very tempermental.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    We have never had any real trouble here. TTGL. But most know that we are armed and that the hounds sound the alarm in the yard and the Doxies alarm in the house. Having a chain link fence that 'contains' four large hounds --two of which WILL and Do bite, that one must enter to approach the house seems to deter unwanted/unannounced people==including the meter reader~~

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Sounds like coming to my house. DH almost always answers the door packing, even if it's not dark yet. You just never know these days, and thats sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by