On my soap box ...

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
So, I have gotten flack lately for not being 100% blown away sold out converted to using and promoting only non-gmo products and seeds. Every day I am blasted by ad after ad and post after post on FB about banning gmo's. One company in particular has been incredibly vocal about it and a LOT of people have fallen in line with them and rant the same mantra. So, here's my take on it.

1. I am not anti-gmo but nor am I pro-gmo. Honestly, I don't know enough and haven't seen enough research to know whether it is a safe practice or not.
2. I have had people argue with me that anything gmo will cause cancer and health issues of all kinds. My problem with that argument is that there have been no studies done to determine whether gmo's cause cancer or not, AND cancer has been around for a lot longer than any gmo anything. My great aunt died from cancer in 1905 ... no gmo's in her life. My dad has cancer that was caused by a virus ... again NOT gmo's. To blame an entire scope of illnesses that have existed for centuries on something so new is just another form of mass hysteria.
3. Most people I have heard discuss gmo's don't have all their facts straight about it. They know bits and pieces that they have read somewhere or heard somewhere and that's the subtance of it. To me, that is no substance at all. Read the whole story, learn the whole set of facts before screaming foul.
4. And this is directed to a particular seed company that is very vocal about being anti-gmo and all about heirlooms ... PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!! They spend an inordinate amount of time preaching about anti-gmo's and eating whole foods and yet, the restaurant that they run and the ingredients they use to cook with are NOT whole foods. They use soy milk and egg substitutes for starters. Not only that, but they are screaming about an organic pest control being added to gmo products genetically and yet they recommend the use of the same organic pest control. Plus, they are NOT certified organic in any way. If you're going to preach something, at least put into practice the things you are preaching BEFORE you go out and start bashing someone or something. The world has enough hate in it already.
5. Get it straight people ... hybrid does not equal gmo. Hybrid is what the monks were doing with peas back in the 1500's and where most, if not all, of the plants we grow today came from.
6. The term heirloom, although it sounds great and old and all, was first used in 1983. No, our ancestors did not raise "heirloom" crops.
7. The first gmo was created in 1973.
8. Thomas Jefferson thought it was a hoot to cross breed plants and have his friends raise the seeds just to see what they got ... according to his journals. Don't preach that all his plants were "heirlooms" to me.
9. No one can agree on what the definition of an heirloom even is ... which I guess is appropriate since no one seems to understand what a gmo is either ... and BOTH get defined in whatever way someone wants to use them. Huh? Seems like a problem to me.
10. PROMOTE WHAT YOU LOVE, instead of BASHING WHAT YOU HATE. If you love heirlooms, GREAT ... go hogwild about them but do so without bashing everything that isn't an heirloom. If you love chickens, WONDERFUL ... love your chickens and tell everyone about them but don't hate people because they don't have them. Do the LOVE part and quit with the hate. It's getting really old and tiring.

I'll step down now.

My, My, you are just trying to start a fight here aren't you (and not by me)? What you say is right on target, but there are sheeple (not people not sheep but a new hybrid they look and sound like people but act like sheep) who refuse to "see the light" unless they are indoctrinated by their loyal minister the boob tube, and their new prophet the Internet, and they are being converted by the thousands because they tell this stuff in schools and the kids tell their mommies and daddies this and bring it home in school letters emails and home work along with any place where sheeple congregate......

bravo
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

While the facts are not in on GMO's other than people that oppose them claim of facts. I have no real opinion of them either way. I think it is fair to say that what we eat today is a genetic manifestation of their original wild design. Cross pollination has been going on for thousands whether it be by the hands of man or by the will of nature via wind,rain and other forces. Lets talk corn for starters, it is a far cry from where it started. While the experts theory of its origin is argued but there is no arguing that they agree that it was a hybrid developed by the indigenous people of meso-america. A long time before modern man and their ideas. When we look at history we only look back far enough to prove our point. As far as GMO food we seem to only look back maybe 100 years ago as the worlds population started to grow and the need for more food to feed them. Enter modern day scientists. Recorded history shows their work to create a more plentiful food by genetic manifestation. But it already had been going on for a very long time. To say something is original or non-GMO is very short sighted. How would one know? While I am sure there are a few things that are close to their original design but feel may have changed over thousands of years of environmental factors. I just feel there are many factors to consider before passing judgement on either side of the argument.
th.gif

Last edited:
Your choice of corn as an example is rather unfortunate, because within certain health food circles corn in any form is treated as purely evil (almost like wheat!)

The hysteria over genetic modification is largely that. Most of what is written is a form of tabloid journalism, written by someone with an ax to grind and no real knowledge, and read by people who know even less. It isn't intended to inform, it's meant to inflame, and most of the readers it is aimed at haven't the critical thinking skills to realize that they are being fed a load of hooey. Kudos to the OP for recognizing that innuendo and finger pointing aren't "facts," and don't make valid points in an argument.
An "heirloom" Brandywine tomato is a GOOD EXAMPLE of what the Original Poster said.

There are several different "Lines" of Brandywine tomatoes.....just as there are different "Lines" of Orpington chickens.

They have a common heritage.....but ALL are somewhat different than their "common ancestor"....which is true of all living things.
( except PERHAPS some "cloned" living things.)

GMO

Like the original poster.....I don't know enough about it all to have much of an opinion. BUT, I DO wonder....whether the "developers" of GMO products know very much more than I. Thalidomide was a good idea.........for a while......until some "Real-World" testing proved otherwise.

I'm not interested in getting on ANY "Band-Wagon" one way or the other. But....having said that......I don't want "unproven" products forced upon me either.

No....I don't drink Pepsi-Cola OR Coca-Cola.....my choice to refuse these items.

But...I do grow hot peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and assorted other pleasantries.......and chickens.
( When tomatoes were first imported into Europe from the Western Hemisphere....they were said to be poisonous. We know NOW ...that was a FALLACY. )

I dunno.
idunno.gif

Bruce Sartist
Y'know, Thalidomide works very well for the things it is intended to do - it just has an unfortunate side effect on a developing fetus. It is still used in very specific treatments, and great care is taken to be sure that it is not administered to a pregnant woman.

Last edited:
I don't get to the point of considering any health implications. Allowing corporations to have the level of control over food supplies that GMOs does is enough to put me firmly in the "no thanks" arena. I certainly support labeling of GMOs so people can make their own choices. Unfortunately, our food labels are already so unreliable, I personally will continue working towards growing my own food.

Facebook allows you to block people's feeds without even having to take said person off of your friend's list. Certain browsers and downloads will allow you to block internet ads.

Bunnylady I have no idea what Thalidomide is used for or does for a fetus, but I do know there are occasions that Doctors have little or no choice in using some medications, it means doing damage or death to a fetus, or harm to an adult to preserve the adults life is a tough choice but sometimes one that must be made, killing a fetus, causing harm to an adult with a medication or surgery to preserve their life is a regrettable fact of life.

Bunnylady I have no idea what Thalidomide is used for or does for a fetus, but I do know there are occasions that Doctors have little or no choice in using some medications, it means doing damage or death to a fetus, or harm to an adult to preserve the adults life is a tough choice but sometimes one that must be made, killing a fetus, causing harm to an adult with a medication or surgery to preserve their life is a regrettable fact of life.
It was a anti neusea sleep aid type of thing given back in the days to pregnant women. It causes major birthdefects in the fetus. Many will at/before birth, those who survive are left with extremly shortened arms and or legs with no or misshaped digits. I knew two people who were "Contergan kinder" (in germany) one had a few fingers bascl. right on there her shoulder while her bf was "lucky" enough to have a 2in forearm with 2 fingers and a short thumb on both hands. Their car could be driven like any other automatic but had the steering wheel higher and with a zero effort turning as their arms were very weak.

Back
Top Bottom