On of my hens is having a problem

christineavatar

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2011
Bolinas, CA
I have noticed this this morning. What caused this and how do I help her?
It looks as if she has an egg (or two) stuck in her and she can't get it out. She is making chicken noises and looks okay otherwise.

Attachments

• chicken butt1.jpg
    chicken butt1.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 7
  • chicken butt2.jpg
    chicken butt2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 7
She appears to have a prolapsed vent, it needs to be addressed. Get her in a warm epsom salt bath and clean all poop off of feathers around the vent. You will want to help her pass the egg without breaking it, I'm not an expert on the best way to do that

She appears to have a prolapsed vent, it needs to be addressed. Get her in a warm epsom salt bath and clean all poop off of feathers around the vent. You will want to help her pass the egg without breaking it, I'm not an expert on the best way to do that
I have never done this before. After I clean around the vent how to I coax the egg out. With message? Some other way? Any suggestions?

Usually warm water will cause the release of whatever is stuck egg and poop. It's easier if there's a second person to help. The act of cleaning her vent will make her want to release also. Maintain the water temperature.

There are quite a few different things that could be the cause of this.

Sometimes you can successfully get the prolapse to stay back in and sometimes you cannot. It takes a lot of dedication to try and fix this type of problem

How old is this bird?
What exactly do you feed your flock?
Do you have any honey laying around?

There are quite a few different things that could be the cause of this.

Sometimes you can successfully get the prolapse to stay back in and sometimes you cannot. It takes a lot of dedication to try and fix this type of problem

How old is this bird?
What exactly do you feed your flock?
Do you have any honey laying around?
I believe the bird is about three years old. I feed them Layana Crumbles. I don't think I have any honey but that is easy enough to get.

I just collected some eggs from outside and one of them had a smear of blood on it. Can a bird pass anything while in this state?
Should I just find someone who wants chicken tonight?

Back
Top Bottom