On the quest for orange egg yolks

RexDaRooster

Hatching
Jun 17, 2019
When I first let my chickens free range their egg yolks were a pretty dark orange which I’m assuming meant they were getting lots of healthy bugs to eat! But since I can no longer let them free range due to an evil neighbor their yolks have become a pale yellow and it makes me sad. They are getting a layer pellet feed from my local feed store right now. Is there a better feed that can get their egg yolks orange again? I know I could feed meal worms but at about $50 a bag that’s just not cost effective for me. I have 20 laying hens so they would go through those pretty quick.
Thanks for all the help!!!

When I first let my chickens free range their egg yolks were a pretty dark orange which I’m assuming meant they were getting lots of healthy bugs to eat! But since I can no longer let them free range due to an evil neighbor their yolks have become a pale yellow and it makes me sad. They are getting a layer pellet feed from my local feed store right now. Is there a better feed that can get their egg yolks orange again? I know I could feed meal worms but at about $50 a bag that’s just not cost effective for me. I have 20 laying hens so they would go through those pretty quick.
Thanks for all the help!!!
It's not bugs that make orange yolks.. it's all the different greens they eat.

What type of corn or the main base of the feed you use will effect yolk color.. white corn gives platinum yolks. Wheat equals lighter yolks. Yellow corn equals yellower yolks. Some feeds add in marigold petals as a way of artificially darkening yolks.

Meal worms are very high in fat and should be used only as a treat.

Consider growing some fodder to help darken your yolks if it's important to you. You might also put your lawn clipping in their run to forage through.

It's in the plants not the bugs...
https://www.proof.net.au/Egg-Yolk-Colour

Hope this helps! :fl

ETA: the wider variety of greens the darker the yolk.. My hens that roamed the farthest and widest had the darkest yolks while the ladies who hung out by the feeder had the lightest.

I agree with EggSighted4Life, the color is dependent on greens in the diet. I remember from older threads about yolk color that some people hydrate alfalfa pellets and offer them as a mash to also help keep yolk color up especially if free ranging is limited or in winter when there are fewer greens in the field.

Marigold flowers. Ground paprika, ground pepper. Alfalfa (can use horse pellets and rehydrate and mix into wet feed). Grass and greens.

mealworms are high fat and not good for their long term health if fed constantly. Ok as a treat occasionally.

There's been a lack of grass in my garden and working on that, by sorting fencing out. I give my nieghbors eggs and they give me their grass cuttings plus I collect a nice amount of dandelions, in the evening they get oats mixed in with plenty of greens root veg and sunflower seeds. Love the orange yokes. There's always a dish in the fridge ready to add to their plates to save time and keep them content. :love

I offer greens, whatever I have on hand. If you garden or cook you end up with a surprising amount of excess scrap greens - carrot tops, parsley, kale, cauliflower leaves, etc. I don't want my yolks orange really, but darker golden-yellow looks most appetizing to me.

Insects in general are not a good source of pigements that color up egg yolks. Some crustaceans are, but most here do not have or manage for those. Vegetative greens, especially those with dark coloration take you where you want. We target low growing legumes, especially clover that does well in the yard. I leave strips not touched by lawn mower that kids harvest quickly by hand and place in a 5-gallon bucket. We then distribute that by placing the greens up again pen walls where chickens pull it through at their leisure. Amount we supply is enough to color eggs somewhat, they would eat far more greens if they were free-range.

Back
Top Bottom