Onagadori tail question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daygrower, Jan 4, 2009.

1. daygrower

daygrower Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a pair of white Proto Onagadori and they love to roll in the dirt they end up dark grey.I'm going to put in a sand box with white sand for them. My question is what bedding should I use that won't tear up the feathers? I'm not looking to show them or anything but want them to look nice.

2. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I would use very soft shavings and a large kiddy pool with sand, I don't think if given the choice they would bathe in the shavings

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Another BYCer mentioned something the other day for Phoenix roos that would probably work for your proto-Onagadori: Make sure there are lots of places for them to perch, both indoors and outdoors, and put food and water at the height of their perch. They will be more likely to stay up on the perches and keep their long feathers on the ground.

In Japan, real Onagadori are kept in very small cages on posts so that their tailfeathers hang to the ground.

Here is a site about "long-tail fowl" that might give you some insight into the care of these birds... You can take the information and adapt it to your own situation and purposes (besides, the site just has cool pics, too [​IMG] ). I love Onagadori.

http://www.longtail-fowl.com/

4. daygrower

daygrower Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Thanks that is very helpful the kiddy pool will keep them from getting below the sand, I have lots of perches but putting food up there would keep them off the ground more, glad I asked

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by