Once a bird has respiratory issues its not good to breed them???????

mandamay28

Chirping
Apr 20, 2016
i've seen in many places now that if your hen has respiratory issues you shouldn't breed them. Chickens don't simply get colds and it is a genetic thing. Is this true?
I just brought home a pair of silkies and one is sick. Giving Tylan 50 now. I was hoping to hatch a few eggs at some point though. Should I not do this?

TIA

Probably not a good idea. For example, there is a disease called mycoplasma that causes respiratory symptoms and can be transferred into the eggs, so that the chicks will be carriers. Not all carriers develop the disease but if they do, it can wipe out the flock. I am no expert, I just learned about mycoplasma from forums here, so I am passing on the information. There are surely other possibilities as well, you might want to search the forums for respiratory symptoms.

Probably not a good idea. For example, there is a disease called mycoplasma that causes respiratory symptoms and can be transferred into the eggs, so that the chicks will be carriers. Not all carriers develop the disease but if they do, it can wipe out the flock. I am no expert, I just learned about mycoplasma from forums here, so I am passing on the information. There are surely other possibilities as well, you might want to search the forums for respiratory symptoms.

Agreed. Here's a link with further info on respiratory issues - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks. I thought that was the case. I bought a pair, only the hen is sick. If I got another hen could I still use the Rooster for breeding?

Back
Top Bottom