Once a broody always a broody.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coloradochick, Oct 3, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Morning all,
    I've got a BO girl that is going on what I'm thinking is day 6 setting on her (and others) eggs. [​IMG] She'll be a year in Feb. Are the girls prone to going broody once they've been there or is it a hit or miss wether they do it again? She's doing very well. She's a growler but she doesn't try to bite me. She got up to eat Wed and someone else jumped up to lay I guess so she started setting on 2 eggs that were layed in the corner. I took the layer out and put Growler back in and she nesteld in there and has only left one other time, yesterday. This is very unexpected but so very exciting! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I have only had one multiple time broody. Sunny was broody her first year and her second year, but this year, nope.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Songster

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I have a banty brahma who has gone broody for the third time this year! It's really too late in the year for her to be sitting on eggs, so I just let her have two. That way it's no big deal if something happens to them. I haven't had my birds long enough to know if they will be broody multiple years in a row.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: