Once again I need help

Patricia Jane

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Petaluma CA
It seems that I have be relying alot on all you BYC memebers for help lately and you have all been so helpful. I have part of my coop blocked off for mama and her 4 babies. They have been in the area for 5 days now. This morning mama wanted out so I opened one area and out she came. The babies started to follow but decided to stay. I watched them while mama bathed, ate and got alittle excerise. When she came back to them my leghorn followed and I noticed she started pecking at one of the babies. Mama was hurding them under her. I intervened and got the leghorn out and blocked it up again. I did set up a seperate area out in their yard for her and the babies but I can't get her and babies in there. She bites and got so stressed she was almost panicking and the babies were screeching so I stopped. Should I just let them out and let them deal with it or leave them in the coop for awhile longer? I have wooden boxes I can set around in the yard for the babies to run into for safety. This is all new to me so it's blind leading the blind. Mama tries to lead me but I'm the blind one. I hate to have anything happen to the babies because of my ignorance. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all, Patti

I'd wait a little longer, but still let mama out daily. Leghorns have the maternal instincts of a brick, so when the chicks are bigger, they'll be better able to run for cover when she gets agressive. The boxes are a great idea.

It's always an iffy situation- my best broody/mama is a tiny bantam, but anyone, no matter how big, comes after her chicks? She will kick some butt! I have to wait until chicks are pretty big, like 6 weeks- but that's because we have a bazillion snakes here in SC.
hmm.png

Good luck, it will all work out!

Back
Top Bottom