Once the chickens go after one of the chickens in your flock can you ever put her back into the floc

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Baygirl, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Baygirl

Baygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Last week one of my hens had a problem with laying an egg. She had blood afterwards and the other hens went after her and by the time I saw it her rear end it was a bloody mess. I cleaned her up and separated her. I just put her back in after a week and today they went after her rear end again. How long can I leave her out of the flock before they won't except her any more?

Thanks, Baygirl

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    If you are seperating her, that is good, but you should keep her where they can see , hear, smell her but not physiclly get to her. That waythey are used to her being around. I would not put her back until she is totally healed and re-feathered if she was missing some. It may never work but this method has worked for me before. Good luck.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

It takes about 2 or 3 weeks for a flock to forget a missing hen. So I would keep this bird separate for at least one week. Keep her in low light and only about 8 hours a day of it, so she doesn't lay. You want her to heal before she tries to lay again. Use preparation H on her rear end. Slather it on a few times a day. This will help to reduce the swelling. When she is completely healed back up, you can return her back to the flock. On that day, you might also put her in a cage within the flock, just in case they are startled of her reappearance. She should be ok the following day to put back in the flock.

Oh and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks!! When I came into the house, my husband said that I needed to put her near them so thanks for the information. He knows nothing about chickens but thought that would help her. I will work on that tomorrow. For tonight she is happy in the barn.

5. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    Great idea. I was wondering what I could put on her to help. It looked worse this afternoon than it did when it first happened.
    I just might keep her in the dog crate in the chicken yard so she is near everyone.

Thanks for your help!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She must be completely healed and at least partially refeathered before you attempt to reintroduce her. Even then there will be adjustments - the greater the space the easier the reintroduction.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I hope she is on her way to recovery.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by