One and done! Help for a novice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bigwalk, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Bigwalk

Bigwalk Hatching

Jul 15, 2013
    Utah
    I am new you having chickens. I actually only have one that my 5 yr old caught at the rodeo. I'm not sure what breed she is or how old she is. She layed one greenish egg the day after we got her, and none for the past two weeks. Thanks to this site I have built my coop and got all set up. ( even succesfully dealt with some chicken lice!) My hen has aclimated to our yard and even my black lab, who learned her place real quick! I would like to add a couple of BOs and have a flock but I am concerned that this one has only layed one egg. I just want to make sure I am doing things right before I get more. Any help and advise for a noob would be great! Thanks so much for all the info already.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Have you looked at the Learning Center yet? Great advice for new chicken owners there. If you post a pic of your hen here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

we can have a look and a guess as to what breed she is. Her non-laying is quite possibly due to stress, being moved to a new home, meeting the dog etc. Chickens do not handle stress very well and it can throw a hen off laying for awhile. But I'm sure in time she will settle down and start laying again soon.

3. Bigwalk

Bigwalk Hatching

Jul 15, 2013
    Utah
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping it was. I will get a pic of her up soon to find out. Someone at the IFA said it may be an americauna mix. she is a nice hen. her head is buff turning almost white through her boddy. Her leggs are greenish as is her one egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: