one beak longer then the other?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theicequeen, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    i just noticed that two of my hens have longer bottom beak then the top beak, is this ok or will it cause problems? is it something i am doing?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sometimes that happens. You can gently trim off the excess with a pair of scissors or nail clippers. Don't cut too much off at one time and watch for pink. Once you see pink, stop. If you go any further, it will bleed.

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    it wont cause any problems and its nothing your doing its just genetic (from what i've heard). I wouldnt worry about it

4. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Their beaks grow like our fingernails do, only slower. Sometimes if they don't have much to peck on it will get overgrown. It's not a genetic issue, so don't worry.

5. Theicequeen

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    besides the ground, and whatever food i put in that is all they really have to peck at, what else can i put in for them to peck at?

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I've seen people suspend a head of cabbage from the rafters of the coop for them to peck at or even cuddle bones (like for parrots).

7. Theicequeen

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    aaawwwww cuddle bones, good idea. Where would i put them in the coop or outside on the fence?

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you can also put a rough brick or concrete block for them to rub / polish their beaks on. Mine seem to enjoy it every now & then.

9. Theicequeen

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    I have a cinder block in there with a water jug on it, i will have to put some bricks in the run maybe put thier treats on it,lol

10. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How far does the bottom part stick out? It's ok for it to stick out a little bit more than the top, but if it impairs their eating or drinking, then it needs to be trimmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by