one chick and another egg with hole

modkevin

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
i looked under my broody hen today and saw that one chick was hatched and another egg has a hole in it. the starter food is out but I am not sure how long it should take before the chick starts to eat. also, i am not sure if the chick will be safe sitting with other eggs all tucked up under her. yesterday she had a dead chick under her. also, should i try to help break the other egg open or just let it be. kate

Personally, I let broody hatches take their natural course. Helping is not always the best approach and can often lead to losses that could have been prevented. Let mom do her job and things should go well. Place the food within mom's reach. She will tell her chick to go have some. Also, put water close by just in case she sits a couple extra days. After 2-3 days, removed the unhatched eggs and let mom take over with her healthy chicks.

Jody

And use very shallow pans for water, I actually use a small cookie sheet for newly hatched chicks. Jody gave very sound advice. The broodie knows best, just let her be and check on her in another day or two. Yes day or two. I know this is exciting for you but please resist the temptation to interfere.

chicks dont have to drink or eat for up to three days as they eat the inside of the egg as they hatch. If one helps them out of the egg before this happens they will most often die. Moma hen knows best. I know its hard to not open the egg!!!
big_smile.png
It can take them a whole day to hatch out and some only a short time. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom