one chick hatches early

chickontherise

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2018
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Hi everyone, I've never had it happen that I have a chick hatch early....on day 19, and all the other eggs are still resting. I happen to walk by the incubator to check the temp and humidity. I've used the dry incubation method on 26 black copper maran eggs, and lo and behold, I'm shocked to see a broken shell. I didn't see the chick initially, but it was tucked over in the corner. Lock down day was just yesterday! Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get any more. Has anyone else had this experience? It's a still air incubator with auto turner. I kept my temp between 99.5 and 100 degrees. I don't get it! These chicks have a mind of their own!!!

It must've been sitting in a warm spot in your incubator. Hopefully some friends will hatch soon, and they will. Still air incubators will have warm and cool spots in them, speeding up and delaying hatching.

Your chick may need a little mirror and soft toy or cloth/blanket to snuggle into. It may be a bit lonely so cuddles are always appreciated.

It must've been sitting in a warm spot in your incubator. Hopefully some friends will hatch soon, and they will. Still air incubators will have warm and cool spots in them, speeding up and delaying hatching.

Your chick may need a little mirror and soft toy or cloth/blanket to snuggle into. It may be a bit lonely so cuddles are always appreciated.

I agree with the first part, but not with the second. :confused: Newly hatched chicks are usually happy to just pass out in a corner and so don't need a friend. It is good for them to cheep since the peeping will encourage the rest of the chicks to hatch faster.

If for some sad reason he ends up being a single chick... then yeah... you will need to get him a friend or figure out a pretend one. .. but at this point there is every reason to expect a bunch more chicks . :jumpy congrats!

I agree with the first part, but not with the second. :confused: Newly hatched chicks are usually happy to just pass out in a corner and so don't need a friend. It is good for them to cheep since the peeping will encourage the rest of the chicks to hatch faster.

If for some sad reason he ends up being a single chick... then yeah... you will need to get him a friend or figure out a pretend one. .. but at this point there is every reason to expect a bunch more chicks . :jumpy congrats!

I generally hatch out quail so maybe they are worse for complaining that they are all alone. :lol:

Hi everyone, I've never had it happen that I have a chick hatch early....on day 19, and all the other eggs are still resting. I happen to walk by the incubator to check the temp and humidity. I've used the dry incubation method on 26 black copper maran eggs, and lo and behold, I'm shocked to see a broken shell. I didn't see the chick initially, but it was tucked over in the corner. Lock down day was just yesterday! Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get any more. Has anyone else had this experience? It's a still air incubator with auto turner. I kept my temp between 99.5 and 100 degrees. I don't get it! These chicks have a mind of their own!!!
A wise man told several of us once that about-to-hatch chicks don't carry watches.

Back
Top Bottom