one chick hatches early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickontherise, Feb 22, 2018.

1. chickontherise

chickontherise In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2018
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    Hi everyone, I've never had it happen that I have a chick hatch early....on day 19, and all the other eggs are still resting. I happen to walk by the incubator to check the temp and humidity. I've used the dry incubation method on 26 black copper maran eggs, and lo and behold, I'm shocked to see a broken shell. I didn't see the chick initially, but it was tucked over in the corner. Lock down day was just yesterday! Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get any more. Has anyone else had this experience? It's a still air incubator with auto turner. I kept my temp between 99.5 and 100 degrees. I don't get it! These chicks have a mind of their own!!!

2. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It must've been sitting in a warm spot in your incubator. Hopefully some friends will hatch soon, and they will. Still air incubators will have warm and cool spots in them, speeding up and delaying hatching.

Your chick may need a little mirror and soft toy or cloth/blanket to snuggle into. It may be a bit lonely so cuddles are always appreciated.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I agree with the first part, but not with the second. :confused: Newly hatched chicks are usually happy to just pass out in a corner and so don't need a friend. It is good for them to cheep since the peeping will encourage the rest of the chicks to hatch faster.

If for some sad reason he ends up being a single chick... then yeah... you will need to get him a friend or figure out a pretend one. .. but at this point there is every reason to expect a bunch more chicks . :jumpy congrats!

Ahavati and sourland like this.
  4. JaeG

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I generally hatch out quail so maybe they are worse for complaining that they are all alone. :lol:

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

yep... and I don't think quail EVER go through a pooped out tired period after hatch....
    well....

they do sleep :lau

Ahavati and JaeG like this.
  6. Ahavati

Ahavati Songster

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    I swear my quail were the neediest little hatchlings ever!

JaeG likes this.
  7. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

A wise man told several of us once that about-to-hatch chicks don't carry watches.

JaeG and Alaskan like this.

8. chickontherise

chickontherise In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2018
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    Turned out pretty good. We got 16 hatched in the middle of a power outage! Seemed almost surreal! They are doing great.

9. JaeG

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    :thumbsup Awesome news! It's amazing how tough those eggs/chicks can be.

10. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    Can you post some pics? When your baby's hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by