One chick is smaller, less aggressive

petalumapaul

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Petaluma (Northern California)
We bought six chicks from our local feed store eleven days ago.
I think they were two or three days old when we got them.
They are three different breeds: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington and Amauracana.
They seem to be doing well, happy, chirping, eating and growing.

However, one of the chicks is smaller than the others. She is growing feathers similar to the larger ones, wings and pin feathers.
When I put some food on a plate they all gather around with interest and peck away voraciously. The little one doesn't get in the scruff, she doesn't show much interest in the food. Actually both Buff Orpingtons are smaller, but one of them more so.

Should we worry?

gander007

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
South Western Death Valley, Ca.
We bought six chicks from our local feed store eleven days ago.
I think they were two or three days old when we got them.
They are three different breeds: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington and Amauracana.
They seem to be doing well, happy, chirping, eating and growing.

However, one of the chicks is smaller than the others. She is growing feathers similar to the larger ones, wings and pin feathers.
When I put some food on a plate they all gather around with interest and peck away voraciously. The little one doesn't get in the scruff, she doesn't show much interest in the food. Actually both Buff Orpingtons are smaller, but one of them more so.

Should we worry?

Yes it is time to worry !!!!!!

This is my brooder setup .....

Have you put any Save-A-Chick in the water or Probiotic ??/

Anyway a Hard Boiled egg twice a day for all your chicks for three to five day's will make a difference and if you need let the smaller one's eat first in a separate box and you should start to notice a difference in just a couple of day if that long ......

I just noticed you are in Petaluma Ca. ,, Funny when I was young
that was the home of chicken houses and large fields but I guess
things have changed in 50 years ..

Gander007

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom