One chick looks like a loner

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
My chicks are a little over 4 weeks old. They have different personalities. Some are very social and some keep away from me more often than not. But there's one chick in particular that looks like it's a bit of a loner. I haven't seen it being bullied or anything, but whenever I feed them treats, all the others, even the shy ones, will come running, while this one will keep on the sideline. It wants a treat, but it seems like it's bothered by all the fuss made by the others. It's not one to fight over the goods and it seems like a quieter type. It'll peck carefully as long as the other chicks aren't in the way, but that rarely happens. I feel a bit sorry for it, so I'm just wondering if it's normal that there are chicks/chicken that are like this and if there's anything I can do for her (I believe it is a she)? I wish I had room to take her a bit to the side to see if she's more interested if she can have some peace and quiet, but for now it's too cold to organise that. And maybe it would just cause unnecessary stress anyway.

I didn't notice this behaviour before they moved out into the coop, but then there were several that kept more at a safe distance. After they moved, it seemed they bickered more the first day or two, and after that even the less social ones have eventually warmed more up to me, just not this one. Maybe the move was stressful to her, or maybe she was always like this and she just didn't stand out then.

Is there for instance maybe something I can feed them that they won't fight over? For now I've only fed them scrambled eggs and mealworms as treats and I feed them from my hand in order for them to become comfortable with me. However, with 13 chicks, it's the toughest ones that will get the most. Any tips for things I can feed them (aside from the feed of course) or ways to feed them, that will be more available for all of them?

I have a pullet like that. I think she's just an introvert 😆. She prefers sitting in a corner watching to joining in all her siblings scuffles. As long as your chick stays healthy and is getting enough food, I think she'll be fine. Mine is getting chubby because she likes to sit in my lap in get hand fed😬
Aww, I can't wait to be able to spend more quality time with her. The coop is large enough for me to get in there with them, but with all the others running around me, it's hard to get close to her. They've just moved into the coop so I want to give them some time before taking them outside, and it's too cold and wet for that now anyway. But once I can take them outside, maybe it'll be easier to get closer to her. Maybe I sympathise because I'm an introvert too. ;)

Usually if you give them something that only one is interested in, all the others will suddenly love that certain piece of food. I fill cupcake pans with water and grapes for them to peck at on hot days, though only the biggest ones get the grapes usually....I just hand feed the introvert by herself. I can't think of any ways to have them all get food...

Usually if you give them something that only one is interested in, all the others will suddenly love that certain piece of food. I fill cupcake pans with water and grapes for them to peck at on hot days, though only the biggest ones get the grapes usually....I just hand feed the introvert by herself. I can't think of any ways to have them all get food...
She's not even the smallest one by far! She's a part of a mixed lot, while the smallest chicks are the orpingtons, however they make up for the lack of size by being twice as tough and loud as the others! 😂 I'll start to hand feed her once they have more room to move around on. I always try to get her something now too, but I don't always succeed.

However, with 13 chicks, it's the toughest ones that will get the most. Any tips for things I can feed them (aside from the feed of course) or ways to feed them, that will be more available for all of them?
That is normal behavior and as they get older, the pecking order gets more developed. Best to not interfere with it as long as the lower ranked birds can still eat and drink after the higher ranked birds are done.

Having multiple feeders spaced apart with clutter in between to break line of sight, will help lower ranked birds eat with less interference/bullying.

That is normal behavior and as they get older, the pecking order gets more developed. Best to not interfere with it as long as the lower ranked birds can still eat and drink after the higher ranked birds are done.

Having multiple feeders spaced apart with clutter in between to break line of sight, will help lower ranked birds eat with less interference/bullying.
:goodpost:I don't know why I even bother replying to threads😆

I also have a chicken like this (year and a half old, pecking order is fully established). When I bring the treat dish out, she kinda waits for the others to finish their frenzy and then maybe she'll pick at it. But she's also fine just going back to the pellet feed or the nest box while the craziness is happening. I have tried multiple feeders, she will come around but in general she'd rather stay out of the fray. BUT she does have a favorite treat she will go nuts for - "Golden Nuggets". I dunno why but she likes them more than anything else I've tried to give her. And I have another chicken that has no interest in them. They have their preferences!

This is the Golden Nuggets, in case you were wondering - https://www.chewy.com/farmers-helper-golden-egg-nugget/dp/248665

She was always the shyest out of the 10 in her batch of babies. But she's very sweet and seems to be doing fine, even if she is alone most of the time. She roosts with everyone and hangs around them, she's just not buddy buddy and doesn't want to get involved with all the hub bub. I don't blame her. (Also- she is the biggest and fluffiest chicken I have, and she's no where near the top of the hierarchy).

My chicks are a little over 4 weeks old. They have different personalities. Some are very social and some keep away from me more often than not. But there's one chick in particular that looks like it's a bit of a loner. I haven't seen it being bullied or anything, but whenever I feed them treats, all the others, even the shy ones, will come running, while this one will keep on the sideline. It wants a treat, but it seems like it's bothered by all the fuss made by the others. It's not one to fight over the goods and it seems like a quieter type. It'll peck carefully as long as the other chicks aren't in the way, but that rarely happens. I feel a bit sorry for it, so I'm just wondering if it's normal that there are chicks/chicken that are like this and if there's anything I can do for her (I believe it is a she)? I wish I had room to take her a bit to the side to see if she's more interested if she can have some peace and quiet, but for now it's too cold to organise that. And maybe it would just cause unnecessary stress anyway.

I didn't notice this behaviour before they moved out into the coop, but then there were several that kept more at a safe distance. After they moved, it seemed they bickered more the first day or two, and after that even the less social ones have eventually warmed more up to me, just not this one. Maybe the move was stressful to her, or maybe she was always like this and she just didn't stand out then.
Chickens will have different personalities, so having a chick like this is perfectly normal. She's probably low on the pecking order.

Just be very careful to look out for signs of serious bullying. If she's ever seriously hurt, you may need to do something to help stop the bullying.

Back
Top Bottom