One chick not using nipples

UrbanEggsCanada

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2018
Hi again!

I have 4 chicks. We got them on Wednesday from McMurray so they are likely somewhere between 3-6 days old?

We were using a bell waterer and they were pooping in it so we ordered some vertical nipples and made a waterer. After reading some threads here I decided to remove the bell one this morning as they were ignoring the nipples. My 3 BOs took took to it quickly and are all drinking out of it but my black australop hasn’t really. She’s come and poked it a few times and I have bumped her beak up to it but she hasn’t had a substantial drink since I switched them.

What should I do? How long can I give her to learn before I worry about her being dehydrated. She’s eating and playing normally.

P.s. I’m a little paranoid as we lost the other Australorp yesterday. Obviously for unrelated reasons (?weak chick, shipping stress) but I’m now an overprotective first time chicken mom!

Thanks everyone! Pict of the waterer attached

Attachments

• E222F3CA-B812-4C28-B3FF-926BB924BC10.jpeg
    E222F3CA-B812-4C28-B3FF-926BB924BC10.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 7
you could try giving her just a regular dish of water attached to the side of the brooder so no one can poop in it.

Thanks for your reply! That’s a great suggestion! I hadn’t thought of that! I ended up showing her one more time by tapping it with my ring that they are all fascinated by. It worked! She started drinking from it and slowly got more confident and is now doing great!

Back
Top Bottom